Help with Netscape & Sound

Post by Sveinn Gunnarsso » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

    I have recently installed Red Hat 5.2 and everthings Ok I have
configured the soundcard as root, I have SB AWE64 and it works the I log in
as a user caleed fido and try to use the CD player and nothing no sound or
nothing I thing this proeblem can be twofold either I cant accsess the
Cd-Rom and if so, how can I let my user accsess it. And my soundcard does
not work with this user and how can I get it to work, I have tried the
command sndconfig, but as fido I cant use it. How can I change the clearance
for Fido so he can use sndconfig?

Also I have KDE on Cd-Rom how can I acsess the Cd to install KDE from Linux?

Sveinn Adalsteinn Gunnarsson

Help with Netscape & Sound

Post by Prasanth Kuma » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>     I have recently installed Red Hat 5.2 and everthings Ok I have
> configured the soundcard as root, I have SB AWE64 and it works the I log in
> as a user caleed fido and try to use the CD player and nothing no sound or
> nothing I thing this proeblem can be twofold either I cant accsess the
> Cd-Rom and if so, how can I let my user accsess it. And my soundcard does
> not work with this user and how can I get it to work, I have tried the
> command sndconfig, but as fido I cant use it. How can I change the clearance
> for Fido so he can use sndconfig?

> Also I have KDE on Cd-Rom how can I acsess the Cd to install KDE from Linux?

> Sveinn Adalsteinn Gunnarsson

In Redhat 5.2, you can add that user to the "disk" group so they can
access that
device directly. Unfortunately this can be a sort of security risk since
then
they write to any disk device file! The way I usually do it is just
change the
permission on the cdrom device file so than anyone can read it. This is
a much
lower security risk since cdroms cannot be modified. To do this, I do
"chmod 666 /dev/cdrom" or something similar. You could also create a
custom
cdrom group and do it that way also.

Regarding sndconfig, it only needs to be used once by root to set things
up. After
that, it should should work ok on all bootups. This sound configuration
is written in
"/etc/conf.modules" if you are curious. The likely problem you are
having is
that the sound mixer is set to a too low value. You need to use some
program like
"aumix" or somthing fancier to set it to a more reasonable value.

To access the cdrom as a filesystem, you need to mount it. Usually,
doing something
like "mount /mnt/cdrom" as root will work. Then do "umount /mnt/cdrom"
to stop
accessing it. Usually you cannot eject the cdrom until it is unmounted.
The files on
the cdrom will be at /mnt/cdrom (in Redhat 5.x).

--
Prasanth Kumar