Help me please.

Post by Sean Churc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello folks.

I am new to Linux. I have a Unix-like background as a Systems Admin /
Developer.

I have version 5.1 of the RedHat CD's, installed on a Dell XPS-166. It
works ok.

The box in question is dual boot. The network card works under Windows
98. One issue I have is that the Intel Pro 100+ card doesn't work from
the Red Hat Linux side.

 I probably need a driver or something to configure it. Any ideas on how
to get this part working with the current OS?

Like I said, I know very little about Linux. It tastses like Unix... but
it's different.

It's that, or how easy is it to upgrade Linux via packages or something
like that? My primary box right now is a Windows box communicating via
Sympatico's version of ADSL (with PPoE). I want the Linux box to do that
job. First off is getting the OS to at least see the Ethernet card.

Thanks!

Sean

Help me please.

Post by Sean Churc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

A bit of an update...

So I ran off to Paul Gortmaker's ethernet link page.

And I downloaded the code to build a new module. Still no joy. I have
this ill feeling that I have the wrong code for the OS release I have,
or else I need to read some stuff. I am doing something stupid or
obvious to all but me. So where do I go to learn how to add an ethernet
card to my Linux setup, and which one will work for RedHat 5.1 ?

Or, should I cave and just order the latest version of Linux and it will
just work for me?

I mean, the entire attraction to Linux was that I would get GPL software
for free. I don't want to make paying RedHat just a replacement for any
other OS vendor. Beat me. I believe that GPL means GPL : no money
required.

It's that or OpenBSD. All I want is a PPPoE enabled router to forward
packets to the ADSL modem, and be able to set up a firewall on it.

Sigh... it always starts out as a simple request.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

;-)

Sean

Help me please.

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>    I have a Unix-like background as a Systems Admin /
> Developer.
> [...] the Intel Pro 100+ card doesn't work from
> the Red Hat Linux side.

> I probably need a driver or something to configure it. Any ideas on how
> to get this part working with the current OS?

> Like I said, I know very little about Linux. It tastses like Unix... but
> it's different.

But the various unixes are not so similar either.  And then most of them
don't have to worry about having lots of different hardware to support ...

Ultimately, almost all PCI Ethernet support comes from Donald Becker, who
keeps a web site at http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/ .  It looks
like you want to load the "eepro100" kernel module.  There should be some
magic way to tell Red Hat to do that automagically, but you may also do it
by hand using "/sbin/insmod name_of_kernel_module".  (The site has a
particular page for this driver at
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html.)

--

Help me please.

Post by Marc Childre » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'd go get the latest version off the web, you should be able to make a boot
disk that supports that card, and then install via ftp across your dsl.

Otherwise....
Definitely sounds like you need to recompile the kernel for this one.  The
kernel is located in /usr/src/linux.  Go there and do a 'make menuconfig' or a
'make xconfig' as root.  You should be able to tell fairly quickly if the
kernel version you have supports that NIC.  If it does, read the KERNEL-HOWTO,
located in /usr/doc/HOWTO (not totally sure about this one, as use FreeBSD).
If you don't have the howto's installed, you should be able to find them within

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/

If your current kernel doesn't support that NIC, you can't install via ftp for
some reason, and you don't have a cd-r, goto www.cheapbytes.com (or similar)
and buy the cd for $2.00

Quote:> A bit of an update...

> So I ran off to Paul Gortmaker's ethernet link page.

> And I downloaded the code to build a new module. Still no joy. I have
> this ill feeling that I have the wrong code for the OS release I have,
> or else I need to read some stuff. I am doing something stupid or
> obvious to all but me. So where do I go to learn how to add an ethernet
> card to my Linux setup, and which one will work for RedHat 5.1 ?

> Or, should I cave and just order the latest version of Linux and it will
> just work for me?

> I mean, the entire attraction to Linux was that I would get GPL software
> for free. I don't want to make paying RedHat just a replacement for any
> other OS vendor. Beat me. I believe that GPL means GPL : no money
> required.

> It's that or OpenBSD. All I want is a PPPoE enabled router to forward
> packets to the ADSL modem, and be able to set up a firewall on it.

> Sigh... it always starts out as a simple request.

> Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

> ;-)

> Sean

1. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

Everything ran WONDERFUL for about 4 months this machine ran several
servers it is a UDB w/ 340mb SCSI (SLOW 5mb) half inch internal hard
drive.  32 megs of true parity ram, Red hat 5.0 I get the following
error

NCR53-810-0: ERROR (0:48) (0-20-0) (8/33) * scripth (868:18000400).
NCR53-810-0: Script cmd = 888030000
NCR53-810-0: regdump : da 10 80 33 47 08 00 1f 01 08 00 28 80 00 08 00
NCR53-810-0: have to clear fifos

What the HELL is this and is there anyway to fix it ?  It seems to
occur when doing file writing, when i try to tar something for example
it will go into a continual unending loop displaying the above error
message.  I have refdisked, formated, and clean installed redhat and
the problem is still there :( Please help, if at all possible mail

2. Finding out remote host architectures

4. convert edd to use kobjects and sysfs.

5. NFS please help me please please please sniff

6. named error in syslog

7. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????

8. Easier Way? NT/Wim95/DOS/Linux

9. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

10. please please please help me!

11. Please Please Please HELP

12. Please, please, please- can anyone provide any help?