* Please Help * redhat5.1 kernel upgrade problem

* Please Help * redhat5.1 kernel upgrade problem

Post by Craig Foot » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00



I'm running Redhat5.1 with kernel 2.0.34. Everything seems to be working

OK but it seems every new *.rpm install gives a failed dependancy. I
thought a kernel upgrade was in order. I downloaded linux-2.0.36.tar.gz
to /usr/src. I deleted the old linux source directory and extracted the
new. I now have a /usr/src/linux directory full of subdirectories and
magical stuff. I read the README and it said I needed gcc-2.6.3 so I
downloaded the rpm and installed it. I did the 'make mrproper'. I am
logged on as root. Running 'make xconfig' gives the following:

#make xconfig
rm -f include/asm
< cd include ; ln -sf asm -i386 asm>
make -c scripts kconfig.tk
make [1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux/scripts'
make -c /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound mkscript
make [2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound'
compiling Sound Driver v 3.5.5-beta1 for Linux
rm -f configure
gcc - I/usr/src/linux/include -o configure configure.c
configure.c:19: stdio.h: no such file or directory

I get several more lines similar to the last and then the bash prompt. I

do have an 'include' directory with a subdirectory asm-i386. There is no

stdio.h file in it. My soundblaster16pnp card works with the sndconfig
text-menu thingy; I hear Linus pronounce Linux though I haven't heard a
sound since.

Does anyone know my next step?

When I do get the 'make xconfig' to finish, am I right in thinking my
next steps will be
make dep
make clean
make modules
make modules_install
make zImage
make zlilo
reboot

Any help greatly appreciated. Posts or emails will be fine.

***UPDATE***

I went back at it. Typed 'make xconfig' which did not start a GUI but
gave the command line version (? I am in xwindows, make menuconfig did
the same). I answered y or n to the questions, some of which were beyond

me so I left the default. When it came to sound support I said no and
make continued on to the finish:
"The linux kernel is now hopefully configured for your setup.."
I read the Makefile and nothing really stood out although I'm not sure
what i should be looking for so I made no changes. Then:
#make dep
gcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -02 -fomit-frame-pointer -0 scripts /mkdep
scripts/mkdep.c
scripts/makedep.c : 1 : stdio.h : No such file or directory.
(more lines like this)
make: ***[scripts/mkdep] Error 1

Still hoping someone out there can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'd
really like to have sound support too.

Should I upgrade from kernel 2.0.34 to 2.0.35 and then to 2.0.36? The
rpm upgrade to 2.0.35 on the cd gives a dependancy error ststing it
needs 2.0.34 which I am currently running.

 
 
 

* Please Help * redhat5.1 kernel upgrade problem

Post by Sydney Weidma » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> I'm running Redhat5.1 with kernel 2.0.34. Everything seems to be working

> OK but it seems every new *.rpm install gives a failed dependancy. I
> thought a kernel upgrade was in order. I downloaded linux-2.0.36.tar.gz
> to /usr/src. I deleted the old linux source directory and extracted the
> new. I now have a /usr/src/linux directory full of subdirectories and
> magical stuff. I read the README and it said I needed gcc-2.6.3 so I
> downloaded the rpm and installed it. I did the 'make mrproper'. I am
> logged on as root. Running 'make xconfig' gives the following:

> #make xconfig
> rm -f include/asm
> < cd include ; ln -sf asm -i386 asm>
> make -c scripts kconfig.tk
> make [1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux/scripts'
> make -c /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound mkscript
> make [2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound'
> compiling Sound Driver v 3.5.5-beta1 for Linux
> rm -f configure
> gcc - I/usr/src/linux/include -o configure configure.c
> configure.c:19: stdio.h: no such file or directory

> I get several more lines similar to the last and then the bash prompt. I

> do have an 'include' directory with a subdirectory asm-i386. There is no

> stdio.h file in it. My soundblaster16pnp card works with the sndconfig
> text-menu thingy; I hear Linus pronounce Linux though I haven't heard a
> sound since.

> Does anyone know my next step?

I remember that before I could compile any kernel sources, I had to put a
couple of symbolic links in the /usr/include directory:

    ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
    ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm /usr/include/asm

There may also be a couple of other significant links, but I think these
are the basic ones.

Quote:> When I do get the 'make xconfig' to finish, am I right in thinking my
> next steps will be
> make dep
> make clean
> make modules
> make modules_install

You don't need both zlilo and zImage. Either is sufficient as long as your
lilo.conf file is in order. zImage just writes the kernel image to the
source tree under /arch/i386/boot/zImage. When I compile using zImage, I
have to manually copy the zImage compressed kernel to the /boot directory,
make sure lilo knows which kernel to run and then re-run /sbin/lilo.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> make zImage
> make zlilo
> reboot

> Any help greatly appreciated. Posts or emails will be fine.

> ***UPDATE***

> I went back at it. Typed 'make xconfig' which did not start a GUI but
> gave the command line version (? I am in xwindows, make menuconfig did
> the same). I answered y or n to the questions, some of which were beyond

> me so I left the default. When it came to sound support I said no and
> make continued on to the finish:
> "The linux kernel is now hopefully configured for your setup.."
> I read the Makefile and nothing really stood out although I'm not sure
> what i should be looking for so I made no changes. Then:
> #make dep
> gcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -02 -fomit-frame-pointer -0 scripts /mkdep
> scripts/mkdep.c
> scripts/makedep.c : 1 : stdio.h : No such file or directory.
> (more lines like this)
> make: ***[scripts/mkdep] Error 1

> Still hoping someone out there can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'd
> really like to have sound support too.

> Should I upgrade from kernel 2.0.34 to 2.0.35 and then to 2.0.36? The
> rpm upgrade to 2.0.35 on the cd gives a dependancy error ststing it
> needs 2.0.34 which I am currently running.

The dependency errors are a slightly different issue, I think. Just try to
compile the kernel first and then see what happens.

Hope this helps.

 
 
 

* Please Help * redhat5.1 kernel upgrade problem

Post by Vik Ollive » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Craig,

I've just been there. What you need is the glibc-devel*.rpm to match
your version of gcc. The one on the distribution disk should be OK.

Vik :v)


> I'm running Redhat5.1 with kernel 2.0.34. Everything seems to be working

> OK but it seems every new *.rpm install gives a failed dependancy. I
> thought a kernel upgrade was in order. I downloaded linux-2.0.36.tar.gz
> to /usr/src. I deleted the old linux source directory and extracted the

 
 
 

1. Help a RedHat5.0 newbie with kernel compile, PLEASE!

I'm no linux newbie, but Redhat5 has a few things in /boot I don't
understand...Certain files that also have the kernel version name in their
string.  One has modules in it's name too, another some odd name.  I'll
write them down if it's not obvious to a Redhat5 guru.

If I compile I kernel, all I get is the kernel and modules...I don't get
these other files with versions on them.

This may or may not be a problem since I compiled 2.1.80 which went fine,
but ended up with a botched reboot using that kernel.  It could just be
development causes(I'm just trying to get Fat32 support).

So, regardless of the above paragraph, what's those other files in /boot?

Many thanks,
--
-Jon

2. powertools iso?

3. Kernel upgrading problems, please help...

4. DNS problems with BIND4

5. Please Help!!! Kernel Upgrade problem

6. ISDN and many debug messages

7. Redhat5 install problem, and how do I uncorrupt a partition - Can anyone help please?

8. <Ctrl>c key in SCO 5.0.2

9. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

10. 3Com 3C900 Broke With Kernel 2.2.3 Upgrade (help please!)

11. Kernel upgrade help PLEASE

12. please help:X all funky after 2.4.7 kernel upgrade

13. Sendmail problems. Please please please please help!