start apache at boot time

Post by Eddy » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My linux is RH6.1 . For some reasons, I install the apache in tar format. It
works fine.
But the web server don't start up at boot time now. I need to start it up
manually.

How can I set to make it start up at boot  ? I've tried to put a script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d to start web server. But don't work.

How can I do ?

Eddy

start apache at boot time

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>My linux is RH6.1 . For some reasons, I install the apache in tar
>format. It works fine.  But the web server don't start up at boot time
>now. I need to start it up manually.

>How can I set to make it start up at boot  ? I've tried to put a script in
>/etc/rc.d/init.d to start web server. But don't work.

>How can I do ?

What is wrong with

 /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

Maybe you have a PATH problem as well. What does 'which httpd' say?

--
Hal B

--

start apache at boot time

Post by Eddy » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

As I need to install apache with tar.gz format, I remove the original apache
in rpm first.
Then the httpd is also removed.

After I have compile the apache in tar.gz, there is no httpd in
/etc/rc.d/init.d.
As a result, it can start up at boot time. How can I solve it ?

Eddy

> >My linux is RH6.1 . For some reasons, I install the apache in tar
> >format. It works fine.  But the web server don't start up at boot time
> >now. I need to start it up manually.

> >How can I set to make it start up at boot  ? I've tried to put a script
in
> >/etc/rc.d/init.d to start web server. But don't work.

> >How can I do ?

> What is wrong with

>  /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

> Maybe you have a PATH problem as well. What does 'which httpd' say?

> --
> Hal B

> --

start apache at boot time

Post by Jeremy Weinberge » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The scripts to control most services are stored in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ .

If you don't have one for httpd, copy the script for a similar service
(like inet), and modify it so that it refers to httpd.

However, this directory is just a common home for control scripts. You
make the program start on boot by symlinking to it from the appropriate
/etc/rc.d/rc?.d directory. http should be symlinked from
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d, /etc/rc.d/rc4.d, and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d, corresponding to
runlevels 3, 4, and 5.

You can use the program chkconfig to automate creating the symlinks for
you. Edit the
# chkconfig
line in the httpd init script to read something like
# chkconfig: 345 85 15
and then run
/sbin/chkconfig --add httpd

This will create the appropriate symlinks for you, and cause httpd to be
started when entering runlevels that expect it.

jeremy

> My linux is RH6.1 . For some reasons, I install the apache in tar format. It
> works fine.
> But the web server don't start up at boot time now. I need to start it up
> manually.

> How can I set to make it start up at boot  ? I've tried to put a script in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d to start web server. But don't work.

> How can I do ?

> Eddy

1. start apache at boot time question

My linux is RH6.1 . For some reasons, I install the apache in tar format. It
works fine.
But the web server don't start up at boot time now. I need to start it up
manually.

How can I set to make it start up at boot  ? I've tried to put a script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d to start web server. But don't work.

How can I do ?

Eddy

2. XWindow widget question

3. Starting Apache at Boot Time

4. swapon ignores my new swap partition

5. Starting Apache 2.0.39 at Boot-Time with Redhat 7.3

6. sound and modem don't work

7. Apache doesn't start at boot time

8. What is the Status of the Adaptec 2940W SCSI-3 support?

9. Apache won't start at the boot time

10. Apache daemon doesn't start at boot time?

11. RH9: I need to start ADSL-START as root for the first time after boot ....

12. Can subsystem start with startsrc be started at boot time?

13. Apache 1.3.26.3 starting numerous processes over time..