Redhat 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade loses a cdrom drive

Redhat 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade loses a cdrom drive

Post by P. Armita » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I used the 5.1 Redhat cd to Upgrade my working 5.0 installation.
Result? when attempting to mount the cdrom, message: fs type iso9660
not supported by kernel!! Aghh! How can this be? Where is my backup?
Sob.
Pete.

Post by Dave Blak » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I used the 5.1 Redhat cd to Upgrade my working 5.0 installation.
>Result? when attempting to mount the cdrom, message: fs type iso9660
>not supported by kernel!! Aghh! How can this be? Where is my backup?
>Sob.

Come on, it ain't that bad. Look in
/lib/modules/'kernel version'/fs
and see if there is an existing module. If so, execute
insmod iso9660.o before mounting the CD. If not, go to
/usr/src/linux and go to the subdirectory containing the
fs source code and type 'make'. Then copy iso9660.o to
the modules directory in /lib/modules with the other fs
modules.

DB

Post by Peter Kor » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>>I used the 5.1 Redhat cd to Upgrade my working 5.0 installation.
>>Result? when attempting to mount the cdrom, message: fs type iso9660
>>not supported by kernel!! Aghh! How can this be? Where is my backup?
>>Sob.

>Come on, it ain't that bad. Look in
>/lib/modules/'kernel version'/fs
>and see if there is an existing module. If so, execute
>insmod iso9660.o before mounting the CD. If not, go to
>/usr/src/linux and go to the subdirectory containing the
>fs source code and type 'make'. Then copy iso9660.o to
>the modules directory in /lib/modules with the other fs
>modules.

>DB

Thanks Dave. I had the same problem and more and would like
to get into the whole kernel upgrade/kernel compile culture
just to be able to function sufficiently in the Linux
environment. Your post is a good micro How To on that score.

I also found the my local printer hooked up to the parallel
port stopped working. I had to use similar tricks to those
you mentioned to get mount to see my vfat partitions with
long names.

But I am getting worn out with system administration tasks,
when I really want to spend my time on developing
applications for my own use (and for others who might be
interested). Red Hat never should have placed those rpms in
their upgrade directory without testing or without
instructions for the behavior they caused.

I reinstalled Red Hat 5.1. Now everything works. I now will
do some useful work.

Regards,

Peter Koren

Redhat 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade loses a cdrom drive

Post by P. Armita » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply. I have solved it, thanks to Jerry, by simply
avoiding the SKIP option when asked to write LILO, goodness knows why.
Pete.

Post by David La » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Thanks for the reply. I have solved it, thanks to Jerry, by simply
>avoiding the SKIP option when asked to write LILO, goodness knows why.
>Pete.

It has to do with the way /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit depends on /etc/lilo.conf. See my

David Lane                           Lexmark International
606-232-2141                         office 6J4/035-2