perms & mounts for file transfer between linux partitions?

perms & mounts for file transfer between linux partitions?

Post by DMS » Mon, 13 May 2002 17:16:38

I have have mandrake 8.1 and redhat 5.1 dual booting from different drives
on my machine.  I want to be able to copy files from either to the other if
possible.  I think I know how to define mounts for each but I believe there
is more to be done than that.  Permissions or other access settings have to
be configured I believe. ? Can anyone enlighten this newbie on this subject?
thanks.

Post by Sven Gohlk » Mon, 13 May 2002 23:13:00

> I have have mandrake 8.1 and redhat 5.1 dual booting from different drives
> on my machine.  I want to be able to copy files from either to the other
> if
> possible.  I think I know how to define mounts for each but I believe
> there
> is more to be done than that.  Permissions or other access settings have
> to be configured I believe. ? Can anyone enlighten this newbie on this
> subject? thanks.

If You use a complete partition for the files You can mount it under /tmp
(make the partition big enough). Usual You then can read the files without
problems but You can't delete them.
--
Best Regards
Sven

Post by Garry Knigh » Tue, 14 May 2002 07:45:02

> I have have mandrake 8.1 and redhat 5.1 dual booting from different drives
> on my machine.  I want to be able to copy files from either to the other
> if possible.  I think I know how to define mounts for each but I believe
> there is more to be done than that.  Permissions or other access settings
> have to be configured I believe. ? Can anyone enlighten this newbie on
> this subject? thanks.

You can mount each partition in the fstab for the other partition. For
example, your /etc/fstab in Mandrake can contain an entry for the RH
partition. That's all you need to know about mounting them, apart from
knowing the device name of each partition and deciding on mount points.

The only problem as far as permissions are concerned is that any user in
Mandrake might not have the same uid (user id) and gid (group id) as in Red
Hat. I don't know how RH numbers its uids and gids but in Mandrake they
start at 501. And user 501 in Mandrake might be some other user or might
not even exist in Red Hat. You can find out your uid and default gid, plus
the list of groups to which you belong, by issuing the 'id' command in a
console.

The easiest way round the problem as far as I know is to create a group in
each system that has the same gid in each system (see the groupadd
manpage). You then add your own username to that group in both systems (by
adding it to the end of the line in /etc/groups). When you work on files
you want to share, you switch to that group (see the manpage for the newgrp
command), and always make sure those files are owned by that group (using
the chown command where necessary). You'll also need to make sure that the
permissions on those files are both readable and writeable for that group
(using chmod). That way you can either copy them across, or simply work on
them in the mount point in which they were created.

If you want more information on the above, you can check the manpages for
'mount', 'fstab', 'chmod', 'chown', 'groupadd', and 'newgrp'. If you want
to check out a couple of tutorials that cover these subjects, look here:

http://rute.sourceforge.net
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/atl/p/s/psadler/KnowledgeWorks.htm

Or, of course, post back here for clarification.

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

1. Perms on mounted dos partition

I know it is not possible to change the ownership of files in the dos
partition (or so i have inferred).  Is it possible to set up the mount
so that when i mount /dev/hda1 (dos) at /dosc the mounted directory tree
is all owned by root, but group 'dos'.  I wish to do this because i am
using SAMBA to access the mounted partition from WFW, but i can't currently
write to the partition.  Are there any solutions aside from allowing the
SAMBA account root access? help.

-jjr

2. Checking the data link layer port.

3. perms & ownerships on msdos partitions

4. modelines for X

5. Transfer files between Windows/Linux partitions?

6. XFree 3.9.16, WINE and fvwm95

7. 250G partition - can't mount it (partition & format good)

8. Passing metacharacters to shell scripts

9. Windows & Linux File Transfer ?

10. Linux router & Netscape under 95 : file transfers go to 100% but doesn't end.. ?

11. true|tee foo bar thud # empties files; w/owner & perms preserved?

12. Perms on DOS partitions (was: 3rd and 4th IDE drive with Linux)

13. Newbie again: installing apps & transfers between partitions?