Problem with using the Real Video player 5.0 on Redhat Linux 5.2

Problem with using the Real Video player 5.0 on Redhat Linux 5.2

Post by Corey Ashfor » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've installed the Real Audio player 5.0 RPM on my Linux system, but
every time I click on a link that's supposed to have Real Audio (or
video)
content, the real video player comes up but gives this error message:

File compression not supported. Cannot locate the requested RealAudio
decoder.

For more information, please see Error 38 at:
        http://www.realaudio.com/help/error

Naturally the web site referenced doesn't have any info on this error at
all.  I searched their database and found a similar reply and they said
that you need to make sure that all the old files are removed and to
reinstall the player again.

The thing is, this is a brand spanking new Linux machine... I just
installed
it a couple of days ago, so there are no "old" files to get rid of.

Also, I don't know where the rpm program installed them anyway.  I'm
very
new to this, you might be able to tell :-)

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

- Corey

Post by Corey Ashfor » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I've installed the Real Audio player 5.0 RPM on my Linux system, but
> every time I click on a link that's supposed to have Real Audio (or
> video)
> content, the real video player comes up but gives this error message:

> File compression not supported. Cannot locate the requested RealAudio
> decoder.

> For more information, please see Error 38 at:
>         http://www.realaudio.com/help/errors

> Naturally the web site referenced doesn't have any info on this error at
> all.  I searched their database and found a similar reply and they said
> that you need to make sure that all the old files are removed and to
> reinstall the player again.

[snip]

Ok, I found out what was going on.  I'm posting this just in case
someone else might have the same problem.
When I went to the web site shown above, there was a header but
no contents.  This turns out to be a bug in Netscape.  When I viewed
the same page using Internet Explorer 5.0 on my wife's machine, it
came up just fine.

Unfortunately, the info on the Error 38 page didn't help.

I went through the index.htm page in the Real Video release again
and discovered that I needed to set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH bariable so
that it points to /usr/lib/Real.  Once I did that, the rvplayer came
up and started working perfectly.

- Corey

Problem with using the Real Video player 5.0 on Redhat Linux 5.2

Post by Timothy Buckele » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> How exactly do you set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to /usr/lib/Real?

Timothy Buckelew

Problem with using the Real Video player 5.0 on Redhat Linux 5.2

Post by Neil Bens » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 12:35:06 -0500,

Quote:>> How exactly do you set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to /usr/lib/Real?

>Timothy Buckelew

Assuming your using a standard bash shell open
up /etc/profile using vi or some other editor.

The, enter....

LD_LIBRARY_PATH = '/usr/lib/real/'
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

...into it somewhere. Login again (to be sure) and type env,
you should see LD_LIBRARY_PATH = ....  in there somewhere.
If not it hasnt worked.

--
Neil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. RedHat 5.0 and Real Player 5.0 for Linux

I am having real trouble with Real Player! When I click on a link for a
Real Audio or Real Video file in Netscape, the player comes up and
receives data. But it only skips through it and makes an occasional
"gurgle" of audio or blip of video. I have plenty of speed and 128 megs
of RAM, plus a very good sound card. Other audio apps sound great. Any
ideas out there on the cause of this?

2. Question about shared library and ahmmax

3. Real Player on RH 5.2

4. Linux Fileter/Firewall config help - NetMax? - Real IP's

5. Real Player 5.0 on Solaris (depth problem)

6. Switching a Linux drive to a diff computer

7. RealPlayer 5.0 under RedHat 5.2 -- problems

8. Log certain user

9. Real Player 5.0 in Debian Linux

10. Real Player 5.0 on RH Linux 6.0

11. Real Player 5.0 and Linux

12. Real Video player problem

13. rvplayer version 5.0 and Redhat Linux 5.2