Configuring Name Servers and DNS in Linux 2.0.30 (Slackware 3.4)

Configuring Name Servers and DNS in Linux 2.0.30 (Slackware 3.4)

Post by PsycoSi » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I installed linux, configured X, installed netscape, and got stuck on the
network card configuration.  (I come from an NT background).  I have two
nics in my system (one for my internal LAN and the other for my cable
modem).  I configured both of them, I can ping IP addresses on my internal
network, the external (internet via Cable) I don't know as I can't get DNS
to work.

I don't know where to start, I have two IP addresses which I put them into
resolv.conf, rebooted and nothing, I can't resolve external network
addresses.  I also configured named.boot and wrote (well, took my NT DNS
files).  After trying to run "named", I get a "can't find named.conf" error.
Whats the layout of this named.conf.  I can't find a sample configuration
anywhere..

Any help is appreciated.

--

... remove antispam from address to email ...

Configuring Name Servers and DNS in Linux 2.0.30 (Slackware 3.4)

Post by Tom ONei » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Put the IP of your ISP in /etc/hosts - make up your own hostname.
   I dont remember the syntax for linux resolv.conf, but the FAQ/man
page should have it. Point it to your ISP's nameserver (may not be the
dial-up server! Run whatever utility you have on the box you posted with
to find it. nslookup on 95? got me.)
 This should cause suficient grief that you will conclude we are idiots
who will never be paid when you get the bill, or it will work and you
will love us all for the free-spirited courageous brothers-in-geekdom
that we are.
 Also run "ifconfig -a" to see what the system sees as network cards.
 ifconfig will also let you reconfigure NICs on the fly - man ifconfig.
  Hell, I'm impressed anyone gets this far without running down the
street screaming and * with small firearms in each hand.
 Now if I could get my DNS server working...

> I installed linux, configured X, installed netscape, and got stuck on the
> network card configuration.  (I come from an NT background).  I have two
> nics in my system (one for my internal LAN and the other for my cable
> modem).  I configured both of them, I can ping IP addresses on my internal
> network, the external (internet via Cable) I don't know as I can't get DNS
> to work.

> I don't know where to start, I have two IP addresses which I put them into
> resolv.conf, rebooted and nothing, I can't resolve external network
> addresses.  I also configured named.boot and wrote (well, took my NT DNS
> files).  After trying to run "named", I get a "can't find named.conf" error.
> Whats the layout of this named.conf.  I can't find a sample configuration
> anywhere..

> Any help is appreciated.

> --

> ... remove antispam from address to email ...

--

                           Thomas J. ONeil
                        oneiltsAT*ramp.ne t

Post by Bruc » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I installed linux, configured X, installed netscape, and got stuck on the
> network card configuration.  (I come from an NT background).  I have two
> nics in my system (one for my internal LAN and the other for my cable
> modem).  I configured both of them, I can ping IP addresses on my internal
> network, the external (internet via Cable) I don't know as I can't get DNS
> to work.

Do you need DNS - it can be a little tricky especially the reverse
lookups
(it gets me all the time).  A good source is the Network Administrators
Guide
by Lars Wirzenius on http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP

Quote:> I don't know where to start, I have two IP addresses which I put them into
> resolv.conf, rebooted and nothing, I can't resolve external network
> addresses.  I also configured named.boot and wrote (well, took my NT DNS
> files).  After trying to run "named", I get a "can't find named.conf" error.
> Whats the layout of this named.conf.  I can't find a sample configuration
> anywhere..

If you want to resolve two ip addresses then add then to the /etc/hosts
file in the form:

<ip-appr-1>  name1 alias1a alias1b ..
<ip-appr-2>  name2 alias2a alias2b ..

and then ensure that the line:

order hosts

is in the file host.conf.

hope this helps

Bruce
--

1. Configuring Name Servers and DNS in Linux 2.0.30 (Slackware 3.4)

Try pinging an IP address on the net somewhere, a good one is204.71.200.75 for
yahoo.  If that doesn't work then you have a problem
with your network setup.

I gather these two IP adresses are your nameserver addresses?  If so how didyou
put them in your resolv.conf?  they should be each on a seperate line like:

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

You don't have to reboot when you change your nameserver in resolv.conf.
I know you are used to rebooting in NT, you don't have to reboot hardly
ever with Linux...

Are you trying to run a DNS server on your Linux box?  It looks like you
aretrying to use an outside DNS, since you mentioned your resolv.conf, in which

case you don't need to worry about named.  It is for running your own DNS.  If
you are trying to run your own DNS, well I don't know too much about that
yet...

--
Jim Zubb

2. Enlightenment wharf

3. Swap problems, Linux 2.0.30/Slackware 3.4

4. lowest free number in a series

5. Can't mount 2.0.30 - kernel panic (Slackware 3.4)

6. cdu33a won't mount under 1.1.44

7. PPP failure on Slackware 3.4, Kernel 2.0.30

8. Problems finding libX11.so.3

9. FAT32 and Slackware 3.4 (2.0.30 kernel)

10. Slackware 3.4 and DNS

11. Config modem server under Slackware 3.4

12. Slackware 3.4 and XF86_Mach32 server problem.

13. sendmail.cf for Slackware 3.4 to be a mail server