PAM authentication for POP server (help)

PAM authentication for POP server (help)

Post by Roberto Maso » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:43:50

Sorry for cross posting (only two sites), but I'm really trying for fix the
problem, I've been having for over two weeks.

I've installed a mail server at home, Exim and I'm trying to authenticate
using PAM.
Now Exim is installed using maildir format and works fine, therefore I had
to download and
install Courier Imap/Pop3 server, which works on the same mail format. My
Problem is authentication.  Everytime I try to authenticate, it asks for my
username and password. I'm trying to authenticate accessing etc/passwd using
PAM. Here a brief description of my setup

I'm running redhat 7.3, My mail server is Exim, works properly.

my authdaemonrc for courier authentication has as entry

authmodulelist="authpam"

I took removed all the other modules from that line

. BTW, Courier-Imap was installed from a RPM available on the net.

My pop3 file in pam.d contains the following

auth required pam_pwdb.so try_first_pass

account required pam_pwdb.so

session required pam_permit.so

The pam_pwdb.so is to authenticate against /etc/password.

It's not working. It keeps asking me for username/password when I'm using

Outlook (not Express). If you have any comments or ideas on what I'm doing

wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Take Care

Roberto

PAM authentication for POP server (help)

Post by Frédéric Moucho » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 18:00:37

Quote:> Sorry for cross posting (only two sites), but I'm really trying for fix
the
> problem, I've been having for over two weeks.

> I've installed a mail server at home, Exim and I'm trying to authenticate
> using PAM.
> Now Exim is installed using maildir format and works fine, therefore I had
> to download and
> install Courier Imap/Pop3 server, which works on the same mail format. My
> Problem is authentication.  Everytime I try to authenticate, it asks for
my
> username and password. I'm trying to authenticate accessing etc/passwd
using
> PAM. Here a brief description of my setup

> I'm running redhat 7.3, My mail server is Exim, works properly.

> my authdaemonrc for courier authentication has as entry

> authmodulelist="authpam"

> I took removed all the other modules from that line

> . BTW, Courier-Imap was installed from a RPM available on the net.

> My pop3 file in pam.d contains the following

> auth required pam_pwdb.so try_first_pass

> account required pam_pwdb.so

> session required pam_permit.so

> The pam_pwdb.so is to authenticate against /etc/password.

> It's not working. It keeps asking me for username/password when I'm using

> Outlook (not Express). If you have any comments or ideas on what I'm doing

> wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

> Thank You

> Take Care

> Roberto