Problem starting X Window

Post by Jade Foerste » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I just installed RedHat 5.0 and am having a problem starting X Window.  I
ran Xconfigurator and that went ok.  I then typed startx and the screen goes
black then I get some errors saying there is not enough video memory and
some errors saying No server installed.  I have a STB Mpact Video Card with
4 MB memory. Thanks for your help.

Jade

Problem starting X Window

Post by broo » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

you need to install an Xserver such as XF86_S3 or XF86_SVGA.  the
server is what controls X. try...

ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA /var/X11R6/bin/X
ln -sf /var/X11R6/bin/X /ussr/X11R6/bin/X

this will load XF86_SVGA as your Xserver.  make sure it exists in your
/usr/X11R6/bin/ path.  this command also assumes your Xservers reside
in these paths.

if you don't have any Xservers installed you'll need to get one (or 2)
from your red hat cd.

broox

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:00:44 -0600, "Jade Foerster"

>I just installed RedHat 5.0 and am having a problem starting X Window.  I
>ran Xconfigurator and that went ok.  I then typed startx and the screen goes
>black then I get some errors saying there is not enough video memory and
>some errors saying No server installed.  I have a STB Mpact Video Card with
>4 MB memory. Thanks for your help.

>Jade

1. Starting X Windows on start up

I've just installed Red Hat 6.0 on an old Pentium 60 machine
that we had around.

After the initial install it was running X Windows at start up, with
a graphic login prompt (I think it's called xdm).

I mistakenly made some changes to the run level, and it's now
starting at the blank command prompt again.

I tried resetting the run level to 5, and editing the /etc/inittab to
reflect id:5:initdefault:

That didn't do it.

What else can I do to get xdm to run at boot time?

Thanks in advance

Scott Smith

2. Bid: Server SetUp for IPS T1 Sever

3. Start a program at X-Window start?

4. Newbie question on /etc/profile

5. How to start a program when a Window Manager is started ?

6. wireless laptop and linux mandrake

7. How to auto start xscreensaver daemon when X & Window Maker starts ?

8. Quick question about downloading files using netscape in linux..

9. get unix x-windows program to start microsoft windows program

10. HELP- Shell to start several windows where typing in one window is echoed by others?

11. problems with starting X window on RH 6.1,description of error

12. problem starting X windows wit new s3 chip sets

13. Problem Starting X Windows - Please Help