help with fasttrak setup

Post by Frode Aleksanderse » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

HI there

Has anyone succesfully setup a linux system on the Promise Fasttrak IDE
raid controller??

I can get it to work by going directly towards one of the controllers on
the card, but then I lose the advantages of RAID - and autmatically lose
whatever space I use on one drive to the other. Also I can not use LILO,
since it cannot find the partition table. Getting my dos partitions
mounted is also impossible.

Is there a way to get linux to go through the BIOS of the card, instead
of an external driver?? It interfaces with my other OS through a SCSI
interface using the BIOS in dos, and 32bit drivers in NT and win95/98.

Any other ideas...like anyone know if there exists a linux driver for
the fasttrak?

Frode Aleksandersen

help with fasttrak setup

Post by Brion Vibbe » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> HI there

> Has anyone succesfully setup a linux system on the Promise Fasttrak IDE
> raid controller??

Promise has said in no uncertain terms that they do not wish to support
Linux. To quote their response to my explanation of why they should
either create a driver, support the creation of a driver, or release the
specs so that others can make a driver: "You're correct, I'm sorry to
say there are no drivers for Linux at this time or in the near future."
Someone else who asked was told that they didn't want to release specs
because it might jeapordize proprietary information.

If you don't like it, talk to Promise.

Quote:> I can get it to work by going directly towards one of the controllers on
> the card, but then I lose the advantages of RAID - and autmatically lose
> whatever space I use on one drive to the other. Also I can not use LILO,
> since it cannot find the partition table. Getting my dos partitions
> mounted is also impossible.

You'd probably be just as well off using the kernel's software RAID
support on a regular (and supported!) UDMA interface card.

Quote:> Is there a way to get linux to go through the BIOS of the card, instead
> of an external driver?? It interfaces with my other OS through a SCSI
> interface using the BIOS in dos, and 32bit drivers in NT and win95/98.

I don't think the 16-bit real-mode BIOS would work too well on a 32-bit
protected-mode operating system. That's why even half-way OSs like Win9*
and there but IMHO crappy ones like NT need/want native drivers... and
so do we.

Quote:> Any other ideas...like anyone know if there exists a linux driver for
> the fasttrak?

Nope. Complain to Promise. Return the product if possible and TELL THEM
WHY.

help with fasttrak setup

Post by Yan Seine » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Heck, THEY told me to return the controller.  I don't understand their
attitude; it would help them sell more units.  The fasttrak is a pretty slick
piece of equipment, and it works really well.  For the price, it can't be
beat.

I can't see that the driver is so difficult to write that they couldn't hire a
CS major for a summer and have them write an unsupported version.....

Yan

> > HI there

> > Has anyone succesfully setup a linux system on the Promise Fasttrak IDE
> > raid controller??

> Promise has said in no uncertain terms that they do not wish to support
> Linux. To quote their response to my explanation of why they should
> either create a driver, support the creation of a driver, or release the
> specs so that others can make a driver: "You're correct, I'm sorry to
> say there are no drivers for Linux at this time or in the near future."
> Someone else who asked was told that they didn't want to release specs
> because it might jeapordize proprietary information.

> If you don't like it, talk to Promise.

> > I can get it to work by going directly towards one of the controllers on
> > the card, but then I lose the advantages of RAID - and autmatically lose
> > whatever space I use on one drive to the other. Also I can not use LILO,
> > since it cannot find the partition table. Getting my dos partitions
> > mounted is also impossible.

> You'd probably be just as well off using the kernel's software RAID
> support on a regular (and supported!) UDMA interface card.

> > Is there a way to get linux to go through the BIOS of the card, instead
> > of an external driver?? It interfaces with my other OS through a SCSI
> > interface using the BIOS in dos, and 32bit drivers in NT and win95/98.

> I don't think the 16-bit real-mode BIOS would work too well on a 32-bit
> protected-mode operating system. That's why even half-way OSs like Win9*
> and there but IMHO crappy ones like NT need/want native drivers... and
> so do we.

> > Any other ideas...like anyone know if there exists a linux driver for
> > the fasttrak?

> Nope. Complain to Promise. Return the product if possible and TELL THEM
> WHY.

help with fasttrak setup

Post by Yan Seine » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I did some fishing on my fasttrack.

As near as I can figure out, there are two IDE controllers on one card
that share a common interrupt.  The busmaster IOport is 6900; the master
drive on channel 1 is at io base 6500 and the slave drive is at io base
6602; channel 2 is at 6700 and 6802.

I looked at ide.c, but I don't know near enough about ide controllers to
try to make sense out of it.  From looking at /proc/ioports, it seems
that the master/slave io ports are 0x206 apart (e.g. ide 3 is at 0168
and 036e) v. the fasttrack's 0x102.  I don't know how this relates to
major/minor devices, etc.

If nothing else, this would allow for 4 IDE devices to use a single
interrupt and probably would provide for faster RAID.  Since the
fastrack's RAID is done in software anyway, I can't see any real
advantage in waiting for promise to come up with a driver.

Also, two fasttracks can be used in the same machine.  This would allow
8 drivers on only 2 interrups; pretty good savings for loaded servers.
My guess is that only the ioports change when the second card is added.

So can anyone give me some guidance for writing a (non-raid) driver for
the fasttrack?

Yan

> Heck, THEY told me to return the controller.  I don't understand their
> attitude; it would help them sell more units.  The fasttrak is a pretty slick
> piece of equipment, and it works really well.  For the price, it can't be
> beat.

> I can't see that the driver is so difficult to write that they couldn't hire a
> CS major for a summer and have them write an unsupported version.....

> Yan

> > > HI there

> > > Has anyone succesfully setup a linux system on the Promise Fasttrak IDE
> > > raid controller??

> > Promise has said in no uncertain terms that they do not wish to support
> > Linux. To quote their response to my explanation of why they should
> > either create a driver, support the creation of a driver, or release the
> > specs so that others can make a driver: "You're correct, I'm sorry to
> > say there are no drivers for Linux at this time or in the near future."
> > Someone else who asked was told that they didn't want to release specs
> > because it might jeapordize proprietary information.

> > If you don't like it, talk to Promise.

> > > I can get it to work by going directly towards one of the controllers on
> > > the card, but then I lose the advantages of RAID - and autmatically lose
> > > whatever space I use on one drive to the other. Also I can not use LILO,
> > > since it cannot find the partition table. Getting my dos partitions
> > > mounted is also impossible.

> > You'd probably be just as well off using the kernel's software RAID
> > support on a regular (and supported!) UDMA interface card.

> > > Is there a way to get linux to go through the BIOS of the card, instead
> > > of an external driver?? It interfaces with my other OS through a SCSI
> > > interface using the BIOS in dos, and 32bit drivers in NT and win95/98.

> > I don't think the 16-bit real-mode BIOS would work too well on a 32-bit
> > protected-mode operating system. That's why even half-way OSs like Win9*
> > and there but IMHO crappy ones like NT need/want native drivers... and
> > so do we.

> > > Any other ideas...like anyone know if there exists a linux driver for
> > > the fasttrak?

> > Nope. Complain to Promise. Return the product if possible and TELL THEM
> > WHY.

help with fasttrak setup

Post by Brion Vibbe » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I did some fishing on my fasttrack.

> As near as I can figure out, there are two IDE controllers on one card
> that share a common interrupt.  The busmaster IOport is 6900; the master
> drive on channel 1 is at io base 6500 and the slave drive is at io base
> 6602; channel 2 is at 6700 and 6802.

> I looked at ide.c, but I don't know near enough about ide controllers to
> try to make sense out of it.  From looking at /proc/ioports, it seems
> that the master/slave io ports are 0x206 apart (e.g. ide 3 is at 0168
> and 036e) v. the fasttrack's 0x102.  I don't know how this relates to
> major/minor devices, etc.

Device numbers simply indicate which driver should be used to deal with
i/o to/from a given device file. Not related.

Quote:> If nothing else, this would allow for 4 IDE devices to use a single
> interrupt and probably would provide for faster RAID.  Since the
> fastrack's RAID is done in software anyway, I can't see any real
> advantage in waiting for promise to come up with a driver.

I think the Ultra33 also uses only a single IRQ. But then I've never
used both channels at once so I don't know if it spawns a second one.

Quote:> Also, two fasttracks can be used in the same machine.  This would allow
> 8 drivers on only 2 interrups; pretty good savings for loaded servers.
> My guess is that only the ioports change when the second card is added.

It's a PCI card, so all its resources are determined through magical
plug-n-play type means...

Quote:> So can anyone give me some guidance for writing a (non-raid) driver for
> the fasttrack?

Look at the existing drivers in the kernel a bit... Then ask someone who
knows what they're doing if it's still confusing. Andre Hedrick is the
de facto IDE guy currently, you should be able to dig up his e-mail
address from a linux-kernel mailing list archive or something.

I recommend working against a current 2.1 kernel rather than a 2.0
kernel - after all, it's the development kernels that should be being
developed.

Quote:> > Heck, THEY told me to return the controller.  I don't understand their
> > attitude; it would help them sell more units.  The fasttrak is a pretty slick
> > piece of equipment, and it works really well.  For the price, it can't be
> > beat.

> > I can't see that the driver is so difficult to write that they couldn't hire a
> > CS major for a summer and have them write an unsupported version.....

Quite mystifying... the only possible explanation is if they think that
it will cost them more to hire someone than they will make on sales to
Linux users (in which case it would be nice if they would _say_ "we
don't think there's enough demand to justify it"). Of course they could
just release some info and it would get done for free, but that doesn't
appeal either. Ah well.

1. debian, sarge, raid1 , promise fasttrak- problem -pls help

hi

i have P4P800E-Deluxe motherboard with Promise Fasttrak 378 controler and
two SATA hdds.
both disks are connected to RAID controler and RAID1 (mirroring) array is
configured on controler but debian sarge (kernel 2.6.?) detected it as two
SCSI disks (sda and sdb).
everything was installed only on the first hdd, second is empty :(
i can make it work as software raid but i dont understand why if i have mb
with raid controler
please help me to set it up

thanks

joe

p.s. sorry for my bad english :)

2. export mem

3. Help: Promise FastTrak RAID card ... any thoughs???

4. IP masqueradeing

5. Seeking Help for Promise FastTrak SX4000

6. Divert first visit to server to another page with link

7. Need Help: "/usr/lib/setup/setup: cannot create /mnt/etc/fstab: directory nonexistent"

8. More multi button mouse questions

9. Help CD Rom setup, Sound Card setup

10. R.H. 2.1/Newbie Setup/X setup dies/help!

11. Q:slackware setup not recognize my second dos partion on setup,help!

12. Problems with fasttrak 133

13. Rescue Promise Fasttrak 100 RAID!!