Newbie trying to setup Linux on second hard drive

Newbie trying to setup Linux on second hard drive

Post by tarun sukhan » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

        Ok, here's my situation....I just received Linux with both the
slackware and redhat distributions...I want to install either one to my
second hard drive...called D: and run it from there, leaving Win95 intact
on my C drive.  How do I go about doing that?  Do I just treat it like I
would any drive by just setting up partitions on the D: and letting Linux
take it over?  Are there other things I should be worried about?

Please, please help me and I will be forever grateful...

Thanks a bunch!

Newbie trying to setup Linux on second hard drive

Post by David Z. Ma » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

ts> Ok, here's my situation....I just received Linux with both the
ts> slackware and redhat distributions...I want to install either one
ts> to my second hard drive...called D: and run it from there, leaving
ts> Win95 intact on my C drive.  How do I go about doing that?  Do I
ts> just treat it like I would any drive by just setting up partitions
ts> on the D: and letting Linux take it over?

Yes.  Linux isn't picky about such things the way Windows and company
are.  LILO (the Linux boot-loader) includes a moderately ugly hack to
coerce DOS into booting off a second hard drive, but Linux shouldn't
complain.  I have two hard drives, and use the second as a rescue
disk.  I've never run into any problems getting it booted off the
second hard drive (beyond what I caused by screwing around with it :-)

ts> Are there other things I should be worried about?

Well, don't reinstall Windoze without a Linux boot disk standing by.
Terminology is important, too; your second hard drive isn't called D:,
it's called /dev/hdb or /dev/sdb.  :p

Posted only.

--
 _____________________________
/                             \  "If you are hit by a * dart, you
|          David Maze         |   are hit by a * dart.  Role-play

| http://www.veryComputer.com/|  -- Rules for _Die You Commie Bastard!_,
\_____________________________/      an MIT Assassins' Guild game

1. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

Hi everybody,
I have two hard drives, their capacities are 4.3 Giga byte and 3.2 Giga
byte. And I would like to merge these two hard drives into one hard
drive in order to mount them to directory "/usr" in Linux . But I don 't
know how to do that. please tell me what softwares I can use for that,
and where I can download them as well as how to set up it. If you have
spare time, please tell me as much details as posible.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ha Le (Vietnam)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. can't play audio cds now - changed snd card

3. Trying to install Linux on second hard drive

4. Wanted: terminal emulation package

5. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

6. where are the basic programs comes from?

7. Two hard drives to a single hard drive

8. ~/.fvwm2rc95 help

9. Trying to mount a second hard drive...

10. NEWBIE question: Trying to install... hard drive troubles.

11. two drives, two linux systems, lilo setup ?

12. Newbie Installation of second hard drive

13. Multiboot Setup with two hard drives