internet connections and netscape

internet connections and netscape

Post by r mille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Hi

I have Mandrake 7.0 w/KDE installed and i am trying to use Netscape 4.61
to surf the web.

My modem is a 3com US Robotics 56k Fax PCI model #5610 [not a winmodem
slag].  In Win98 SE the #5610 setting are irq 11, I/0 EC00-EC07, COM 5.

I have a regular dial-up internet account.

Two problems:
1-How do i get Linux to recognize my modem?
2-How do i configure my dial-up internet account?
3-How do i configure Netscape?

I am a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry green newbie so i need a lot of handholding
[ie. extremely detailed instructions].  Which programs do i use to do
this?

Thanks

 
 
 

internet connections and netscape

Post by Marc Childres » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Quote:

> I have Mandrake 7.0 w/KDE installed and i am trying to use Netscape 4.61
> to surf the web.

Netscape 4.7 comes with Mandrake 7.0, did you install this after the OS
install?  Try running "rpm -qa|grep netscape"

Quote:> My modem is a 3com US Robotics 56k Fax PCI model #5610 [not a winmodem
> slag].  In Win98 SE the #5610 setting are irq 11, I/0 EC00-EC07, COM 5.

> I have a regular dial-up internet account.

> Two problems:
> 1-How do i get Linux to recognize my modem?

Your COM ports are in /dev/, labeled ttySx.  Here's mine


crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS0
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  65 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS1
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  66 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS2
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  67 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS3

ttyS0=COM1
ttyS1=COM2
ttyS2=COM3
ttyS3=COM4

You get the idea.  First check to see if you have /dev/ttyS4?  I have
never seen ttySx > x=3.

Quote:> 2-How do i configure my dial-up internet account?

My first suggestion would be to read the PPP-HOWTO,
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO.html
Then return with any questions you have.

Quote:> 3-How do i configure Netscape?

Netscape will run properly once you have ppp up correctly.
Quote:

> I am a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry green newbie so i need a lot of handholding
> [ie. extremely detailed instructions].  Which programs do i use to do
> this?

> Thanks


 
 
 

1. Netscape Navigator 3.0 for Free SCO - IBM Internet Connection

Hi !

I've ordered SCO Unix (free Version) a few days ago and i'm looking for
a version of  Netscape Navigator 3.0 for Free SCO. Can anyone tell me
where I can find one ? (There are some Version of it on Netscape's
WWW-Server, I just don't know which is the correct one.)
Another Question:

Has anyone an Internet-Connection via IBM Global Network ?
Where can I find a How-To ?


Thanks !

Wolfgang DIETL

2. Connection refused on one of virtual IPs

3. Netscape doesn't find Internet Connection

4. Linux + PC NFS 5.0

5. Problem with my configuration (Modem and Internet Connection - Kppp....Netscape)

6. what's this command?

7. Netscape Internet Connection Problem!!!!

8. What shell ?

9. connect a linux machine to the internet via internet connection sharing

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

12. internet connection dies sometims after usenet connection times out

13. Internet Connection via a Network Shared Connection in RedHat 7.2