Post by Dan Alexand » Sat, 02 Mar 1996 04:00:00

 Solution
 Run the shell script:   /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/MAKEDEV.ide1  after you compile and install the
 new kernel.

 Dan Alexander

 Problem
System:   Gateway 2000 P5/133
CDROM:    Mitsumi 4X IDE/ATAPI configured on secondary controller (ide1) as master.  (hdc)
HD:       Western Digital Caviar AC31600 1.6G configured on primary controller (ide0) as master.  (hda)

I originally installed linux using the Slackware 3.0 version  "idecd" boot diskette.  When booting
from this kernel image, the system finds the CDROM and secondary controller without a problem.
On bootup the system returns:

                hdc: FX001DE, ATAPI, CDROM drive
                ide1: secondary controller on irq 15

After the system boots, I can log on as "root" and mount the CDROM:

                mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /cdrom -o ro

However, I downloaded the kernel source (1.2.13) and recompiled the kernel to add additional drivers.
I made sure to add support for IDE/ATAPI CDROM and the ISO9660 filesystem when running "make config".
I installed zImage to the root directory and ran /sbin/lilo.

During the boot sequence, autoprobe still finds hdc and ide1 without a problem, but now I can't
mount the CDROM.  I get the following message:

                mount:  fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel

But if I look in the /proc/filesystems file, iso9660 shows up in the list of installed filesystems.  Also,
ide1 shows up in /proc/devices as a valid block device.

I've recompiled the 1.2.13 kernel and still have the same problem.  I've also have accessed the CDROM using
both DOS and the "idecd" boot diskette/1.44 color root diskette (rule out hardware problems).

1. Can't mount IDE/ATAPI CDROM (can't find filesystem)

[...]

I'll re-post a summary of this problem if I find an answer.

Dan Alexander

2. Doubts which book to buy [general *nix programming]

3. It's not bad canned meat...

5. Pine on Sol 2.4 problem

6. IDE/ATAPI FX400 CDROM won't mount

7. porting Solaris 1.x C++ code to Solaris 2.x

8. Linux won't find ATAPI cdrom on 2nd IDE controller...help!

9. ide cdrom and cdrom writer with scsi harddisk using cdrecord can't find cd reader

10. Atapi cdrom problem: wrong speed found by ide-cdrom

11. 'mount' say NO iso9660 support and 'cat /proc/filesystems' say YES!!!

12. can't mount atapi cdrom