BIOS32 extentions? Problems booting.

Post by def » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to boot my 486/AMD DX4 100 machine with a slackware
boot diskette.  I am able to boot, but about half way through, the
following message is displayed:

        BIOS32 extentions not present.  This version still depends on it.
        Sorry.

Has somebody seen this problem?  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Flynt

BIOS32 extentions? Problems booting.

Post by root » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I got the same message, but once I compiled the kernel, the message never
returned.  I'd suggest just ignore it for now.  BTW, I don't ever recall
seeing that message before I installed a 4G drive in addition to my 540MB.
I don't understand what that message means.

It may have something to do with bios translations.  I've never seen that
message before I installed a 4G and had to enable bios translations so that
stupid dos can deal with >1G.  From what I understand, Linux couldn't care less
about bios translations, but it's forced to read them when booting.  If you
have a >1G with bios translations enabled, this might have something to do with
it, but I really don't know.  But, like I say, the message never came back
after I compiled the kernel.  Are you able to install & compile?  If not, then
there may be another reason other than that bios message.