Unusual ppp problem. ISP needs more input before pppd takes over.

Unusual ppp problem. ISP needs more input before pppd takes over.

Post by Fredrik Bostr? » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi and thanks for reading this.

I got my first Linux system installed 4 days ago, that was a piece of =
cake (30 min. wambam thank you mam, installed and ready;-), but now I =
would like the ppp to work.=20
When I connect to my ISP, this is what it looks like:
Annex username:********
Annex password:********
Permission granted
annex X:

This is the problem. X is a number between 1 and 16. This number =
corresponds to the number of modem that took the call.=20

When "annex X:" comes up I'm supposed to send the text string "ppp" in =
order to get my ISP to "enter" ppp mode. Since the chat program =
functions on the principle of expect/send and I won't know what number X =
will be before I call, how will I now what to expect? And how do I make =
a script that will work with this?=20

If anyone knows how fix this please email me or post a reply in this =
newsgroup.

Thank you in advance
Fredrik Bostr=F6m
--=20

Emailadmin. at Karlstad Studentunion,
member of the datacouncil at HKs.

Unusual ppp problem. ISP needs more input before pppd takes over.

Post by Martin Wickm » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fredrik_Bostr=F6m?="

[chop]

Quote:>When I connect to my ISP, this is what it looks like:
>Annex username:********
>Annex password:********
>Permission granted
>annex X:
>This is the problem. X is a number between 1 and 16. This number =
>corresponds to the number of modem that took the call.=20
>When "annex X:" comes up I'm supposed to send the text string "ppp" in =
>order to get my ISP to "enter" ppp mode. Since the chat program =
>functions on the principle of expect/send and I won't know what number X =
>will be before I call, how will I now what to expect? And how do I make =
>a script that will work with this?=20

Have tyou tried just looking for `annex'?
--
  Windows 95: from the guys who brought you EDLIN

Post by Stan Brook » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fredrik_Bostr=F6m?="

>[chop]
>>When I connect to my ISP, this is what it looks like:
>>Annex username:********
>>Annex password:********
>>Permission granted
>>annex X:
>>This is the problem. X is a number between 1 and 16. This number =
>>corresponds to the number of modem that took the call.=20
>>When "annex X:" comes up I'm supposed to send the text string "ppp" in =
>>order to get my ISP to "enter" ppp mode. Since the chat program =
>>functions on the principle of expect/send and I won't know what number X =
>>will be before I call, how will I now what to expect? And how do I make =
>>a script that will work with this?=20
>Have tyou tried just looking for `annex'?

In this situation, it would probably be preferable to have the following
sequence in the chat strings (beginning at an expect):
        'annex'  '\c' ':' '\pppp'
Ie,   expect 'annex'
      send NOTHING (not even a <CR>)
      expect ':'  (wait for the ':' so you don't write while ISP is sending)
      pause a little then send 'ppp'

Some ISP's get confused when you send stuff to them while they're talking.
My experience is that it's not a bad idea to put a few extra
       expect '\r'      send '\pWHATEVER'
sequences in the chat script.

Quote:>--
>  Windows 95: from the guys who brought you EDLIN

--
 --SJB             >> no-junk-mail-please! <<
--

Post by Antonio Lop » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Hi and thanks for reading this.

>I got my first Linux system installed 4 days ago, that was a piece of =
>cake (30 min. wambam thank you mam, installed and ready;-), but now I =
>would like the ppp to work.=20
>When I connect to my ISP, this is what it looks like:
>Annex username:********
>Annex password:********
>Permission granted
>annex X:

>This is the problem. X is a number between 1 and 16. This number =
>corresponds to the number of modem that took the call.=20

>When "annex X:" comes up I'm supposed to send the text string "ppp" in =
>order to get my ISP to "enter" ppp mode. Since the chat program =
>functions on the principle of expect/send and I won't know what number X =
>will be before I call, how will I now what to expect? And how do I make =
>a script that will work with this?=20

>If anyone knows how fix this please email me or post a reply in this =
>newsgroup.

>Thank you in advance
>Fredrik Bostr=F6m
>--=20

>Emailadmin. at Karlstad Studentunion,
>member of the datacouncil at HKs.

If the ":" is always present in the answer from annex, just put an expect
string with ":". You don't need to specify full strings in expect strings.
I hope this will help you, best regards.