Redhat 5.2 -> 6.0 NFS upgrade woes

Post by Jonathan Herzo » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to upgrade my RH 5.2 box to RH 6.0 using a locally
available nfs-mountable mirror of ftp.redhat.com. The installation
goes smoothly until the part where it "finds overlapping files". The
progress bar gets 2/3rds of the way across, and then the installation
completely barfs. The error message helpfully informs me that it
received an abnormal response (error number 11), and then proceeds to
shutdown the computer.

Does anyone have any idea what the installer is doing at that point,
or why it might be having a problem?

(Other information that might be relevant: I've upgraded the kernel to
2.0.35. I have KDE installed, and a non-functional install of gnome.
Other than that, it's pretty pristine...)

Thanks for your help.

--

1. RedHat 5.2 -> RedHat 6.0 Upgrade Problems

My RedHat 5.2 System worked perfectly!  Now that I upgraded I am having
a few problems, and need someone to tell me where the problem lies.
For starters, when I get connected to the Internet, my cacheing DNS
doesn't work!  I can't do nslookups!  PPP is working b/c when I issue
an 'ifconfig' it reports that the PPP0 interface is up.  The
/var/log/messages reports my ISP's DNS IP as an address for queries.  I
can ping the ISP DNS.  It's almost as if my DNS packets are not being
returned to my computer.  What's the problem?  I use gnome-ppp (part of
the gnome-network-1.0.rpm) to connect (if that makes any difference).
Where is the problem?

Also, I am having problems with ESD with a SoundBlaster 16 PCI card.
Kernel sound support is great.  When I use ESD (like the sound effect
for GNOME or playing MP3's) ESD plays the file really slowly!!! (It's
takes about 6 times as long to play the file)  Is there a way to speed
up ESD's relaying of data to /dev/dsp?  If so how?

Help will be appreciated!  If you need any further information, let me
know.  I will post follow-up messages.  Thanks in advance!

2. Linux to Slirp: PPP or Slip?

3. RedHat 5.1 -> 5.2 upgrade woes

4. HELP: Fdisk/book problems

5. INSTALL Redhat 6.0: yet another 5.2->6 upgrade question:

6. BUG: Current 2.5-BK tree dies on boot!

7. Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

8. DHCPD + Linux + Novell + 2 ethernet cards

9. Red Hat 5.2->6.0 upgrade: my printer is offline ???

10. How to upgrade from RedHat 5.2 to 6.0 ?

11. RedHat 5.2 (How do you upgrade to 6.0 over the internet?)

12. Supplementary disk for upgrading Redhat linux 5.2 to 6.0

13. Upgrade from Redhat 5.2 to 6.0