14.1GB Hard Disk Configuration

Post by phat5n00p3 » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi:

I have an EIDE hard-drive that has 14.1GB capacity. Is there
a way to make Linux recognize the entire capacity of the
drive. I am really not interested in going back to windoze
therefore'd appreciate a reply from anybody who has met and
solved this type of problem.

Thanx.

p5

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

14.1GB Hard Disk Configuration

Post by Walter Tau » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi:

>I have an EIDE hard-drive that has 14.1GB capacity. Is there
>a way to make Linux recognize the entire capacity of the
>drive. I am really not interested in going back to windoze
>therefore'd appreciate a reply from anybody who has met and
>solved this type of problem.

Create a boot partition of say 10Mb just enough for the kernel image
and boot maps and indicate to lilo where that image is,say
/boot/vmlinuz where /boot is say under /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda2 could then
use for /....I believe you may need to create an extended partition into
which you could put swap and /home for example...read the docs by Matt Walsh..
-walter NOTE you have a choice as to whether you install lilo on the main
boot record /dev/hda (for the first IDE drive) or on a main partition if
you are using another boot loader..

Note if you turn off LBA in the bios for the IDE interface then you will
most like have to
specify `linear' as a global option for lilo it is NOT necessary
to specify geometry of the disk... or you could boot off a floppy ;-)
-walter

1. MS-DOS >1GB SCSI bug? Hard disk killer

I've just had a hard disk killed by the ms-dos file system.

I'm running kernel 2.0.0 and the disk is a 1.87GB SCSI. With,

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 244 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1            1        1      244  1959898+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M

Whenever I write more than 1GB to the disk (as an ms-dos file system) it
seems to wrap around to the beginning of the disk and consequently
corrupt the file system.

Is this a known bug? Is there a patch? Am I doing something wrong?

More info
=========

- Blank disk
- Write X's to a BIG file (1024MB)
- dd the first 10k off the raw disk and you get X's
- filesystem stuffed

Win95 writes more that 1GB without problems.

Help!

--
Andrew Richards
http://www.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/~physajr

2. pcsp sound driver problems!!

3. Will UMSDOS work on 1GB hard disk?

4. yenta_socket problems

5. Western Digital Hard Disk 1GB

6. Midnight Commander

7. UUCP Configuration(USR 14.4k)-HELP!!!

8. Why does letter 'e' not appear in xdm?

9. input: sunkbd.c - fix reading beyond end of keycode array [14/14]

10. [2.5][14/14] smp_call_function_on_cpu - x86_64

11. 14 gig hard drive

12. X configuration for Compudyne 14 monitor?