newbie query - saving install messages to a file

newbie query - saving install messages to a file

Post by Andy Elve » Fri, 11 May 2001 16:23:03

Hi all.  Just a quick query here -

  I've had an unsuccessful attempt at installing Linux (both RH7.1 , then
Mandrake 8.0 ) .  I found (via the weekly Linux Journal "mailout" ) that
when you *already*  have Linux installed, (and are trying to upgrade) , you
can print a copy of /var/log/dmesg to help if you have any problems.

  My query is - " If I do **not** yet have Linux installed (and I'm in the
process of *trying to do so*  ) , **is it possible** for me to zing the
messages that apppear to a file ? "

 What I mean by this is , when I go to the dos prompt and fire off
"autoboot"  to install Linux ( I can't boot from CD on my system) ,  you get
the usual pile of stuff as the installer chugs away.   I want to be able to
save those messages by sending them to a file.

 It would seem that a dos pipe command might do this , but I don't know if
it's possible . (And given that Linux *ain't yet installed* , a Linux
command probably ain't possible either .... :-))

 Many thanks in advance for any help received !

1. automatically save messages to files

Hi all. I want to filter certain messages
so that they are saved as files. This option
is not directly available from the filter
rules. And I don't know how to use the
"execute program" or "pipe through" options
to save the message contents to a file (if
that is possible). Does anyone here know
how to do this? TIA<
--
W. Seager

2. Require help in writing a debugger

3. trn: saving messages to file

4. Video problems - Real3d Starfighter AGP

5. Netatalk - Cannot save/copy files without a "locked" message

6. Repeat previous command

7. trn: Saving ALL threaded messages to file

8. rsh and daemon_init()

9. Shell/Solaris: save solaris boot message to log files

10. Newbie query - UDMA system - problem with Mandrake 8.0 & RH7.1 installs

11. Newbie: Can't save files

12. Query raw device files on solaris (oracle install)

13. NEWBIE W/LINUX - Error Message on install