(?) Why different 'colors' on different logins?

(?) Why different 'colors' on different logins?

Post by Robb Shect » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone have the phenomenon that only on the 2nd time you login (say with
rlogin), you'll get the half-brite settings for directories, and such things?

What could that be?

1. NCurses question: different terminals, different output, or "where'd the lines go?"... why?

In an earlier post I asked about missing "line" characters in a
newt/slang app I'm putting on a boot-cd.

In trying some other approaches to the app devleopment, I started
looking at ncurses.

I built the test apps in /usr/share/doc/ncurses-devel-5.2/test on my
RH 8.0 system.  Running Gnome, I opened a terminal, went to the "test"
directory and launched the app "ncurses" from the cmd-line.  I was
able to create windows and look at the alternate character set, just
as I expected.

Then I switched to a virtual console via ctrl-alt-F2, logged in, again
went to the  ncurses "test" directory as before, and launched the
"ncurses" app.  This time, no line characters were drawn around my
defined window.

Why??  I wonder if the root cause of this observation relates to my
earlier question.

Thanks for your insights.

Bill Judd

2. Ever see this symbol in 'gnumalloc.so' ???

3. VESA fbdev(s), different modes for different vc's ?

4. Problem with DNS - or what?

5. Apache: different access for different IP's

6. Using expect to retrieve an html file via telnet - ?

7. Different Applicatin on different CPU'S

8. Need help with a multiplexer (poll call).

9. VESA fbdev(s), different modes for different vc's ?

10. Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

11. 'date' and 'clock' show different times

12. different behaviour of 'while read' and 'for' loops in bash

13. different colors for different files when using the "ls" command