Install hiccup - existing FAT partitions?

Install hiccup - existing FAT partitions?

Post by David Roger » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

WinNT is already installed on my PC.  The 10Gb disk is partitioned:
        C:    FAT   2047Mb  primary
        D:    FAT   2047Mb  logical
Leaving 5547Mb of free space, where I want to put Linux.

I started with Linux boot and root disks and got scared when I got to
fdisk.  Initially fdisk reported

  Device  boot begin start   end   blocks  Id  System
  /dev/hda1  *     1     1     261  2096451   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
  /dev/hda2      262   262     522  2096482+  5  Extended
  /dev/hda5      262   262     522  2096451   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M

So I figured that hda1 was C:, hda5 was D:, and that I needed to split
up hda2 to hold the root, swap and home Linux partitions.

Next, I deleted partition 2 and then re-added it.  Upon deleting
partition 2, however, hda5 disappeared.  And that got me spooked since
I don't want to lose the data I have on D:.

As an exercise, I continued with fdisk and made 3 new primary Linux
partitions, but then I "quit" fdisk without writing the new partition
table because I was afraid of losing D:.  (Hope that's clear.)

My questions:
 Was I proceeding correctly or would D: have been lost if I wrote the
 new partition table ?
 Is there a way to do the Linux partitioning without risking the loss
 of D: ?

Any advice is appreciated.

  ..dave..

--
//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\
Dave Rogers       Research Scientist

Install hiccup - existing FAT partitions?

Post by Thomas Zaji » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[ e-mail CCed ]

> WinNT is already installed on my PC.  The 10Gb disk is partitioned:
>         C:    FAT   2047Mb  primary
>         D:    FAT   2047Mb  logical
> Leaving 5547Mb of free space, where I want to put Linux.
> I started with Linux boot and root disks and got scared when I got to
> fdisk.  Initially fdisk reported
>   Device  boot begin start   end   blocks  Id  System
>   /dev/hda1  *     1     1     261  2096451   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
>   /dev/hda2      262   262     522  2096482+  5  Extended
>   /dev/hda5      262   262     522  2096451   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
> So I figured that hda1 was C:, hda5 was D:, and that I needed to split
> up hda2 to hold the root, swap and home Linux partitions.

Well, not exactly ...

Quote:> Next, I deleted partition 2 and then re-added it.  Upon deleting
> partition 2, however, hda5 disappeared.  And that got me spooked since
> I don't want to lose the data I have on D:.

Uh-oh! =8-O  That was not a good idea - /dev/hda2 is the extended
partition, you can think of it as a container for any logical drive
youre going to add. It doesnt take any space, it basically says
"this place is reserved for logical drives".

Quote:> As an exercise, I continued with fdisk and made 3 new primary Linux
> partitions, but then I "quit" fdisk without writing the new partition
> table because I was afraid of losing D:.  (Hope that's clear.)

A wise decision, indeed.

Quote:> My questions:
>  Was I proceeding correctly or would D: have been lost if I wrote the
>  new partition table ?

D: would have been history.

Quote:>  Is there a way to do the Linux partitioning without risking the loss
>  of D: ?

Basically yes, of course. Something seems to be strange with your
setup, though. You said that there are about 5.5GB unused space.
Well, the problem is, when creating your NT partitions, you made
the extended partition too small obviously, just the size of the
logical drive it contains, instead of _the_whole_rest_ of your disk.

The proper way would have been to create your 2GB primary partition
(/dev/hda1, C:), an extended partition of 8GB (/dev/hda2, but no
drive letter!), plus a logical drive of 2GB (/dev/hda5, D:), and
leave the rest of the drive free for Linux partitions, which would
have been further logical drives inside the extended partition
(/dev/hda6, /dev/hda7, ...).

Your problem is now that you can _not_ have any further partition
after the extended one. IIRC, it goes like this: you can have a max
total of 4 partitions on a disk, only one of which can be an extended
partition, and it has to be the last one in the row. Thus, you are
limited to the following setup possibilities (_P_rimary, _E_xtended):

   P-P
   P-E
   P-P-P
   P-P-E
   P-P-P-P
   P-P-P-E

The extended partition can conatain any number of logical drives, I
think, only limited by disk space (and drive letters under DOS and
Windoze, of course :-). Given the fact that DOS/Windoze fdisk is
crippled enough to be able to create only _one_ primary partition,
the most common setups youll find are either P (one primary partition
spanning the whole disk (again limited under DOS/Windoze, or rather
FAT, to a max size of 2GB)) or P-E (one primary, plus one extended
spanning the rest of the disk, containing logical drives). E (one
extended partition spanning the whole disk, only containing logical
drives) is rare, because you need a primary partition to boot, but
it happens as well (as a second/third/fourth disk in a system).

For you, this means that with your current setup, the rest of the
disk is effectively wasted/unusable (someone correct me if Im wrong).
This leaves you with 2 possible solutions (well, 3 actually :-) ...

1. "Wimp": Backup your data on D:, then proceed as you did already; ie.
   delete /dev/hda5, then /dev/hda2, then recreate /dev/hda2 so that
   it covers the entire remaining disk, recreate /dev/hda5 with Id = 6,
   and add your Linux partitions as logical drives as desired, starting
   with /dev/hda6. Under NT, reformat D: as FAT, and restore your
backup.

2. "Daredevil": Write down or make a printout of your current setup,
   exactly as shown by fdisk above. Delete /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda2,
   then recreate /dev/hda2 spanning the whole disk again. Now comes
   the tricky part: recreate /dev/hda5 (Id = 6) _on_the_very_same_
   cylinder boundaries that you wrote down (ie. start cylinder = 262,
   end cylinder = 522), fdisk has an option to do this. Then create
   your Linux partitions as above. Since fdisk does not modify the
   actual data on the disk (it only rewrites the MBR), your data
   on D: is still there .. DISCLAIMER: I can not guarantee 100% that
   this will work - it should work in theory, but youre on your own
   if you try this. If you lose your data (although I dont think
   this will happen), tough luck, I warned you!

3. "Rich kid": So what, its only 5.5GB wasted! Buy a second/third/
   fourth disk, or a whole new PC while youre at it, just for Linux.
   ;-)

Alright ... hope this doesnt create more confusion than it helps to
clear up.

Thomas
--
=---------------------------------------------------------------------=
-        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        -

Post by M. Buchenried » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>WinNT is already installed on my PC.  The 10Gb disk is partitioned:
>    C:    FAT   2047Mb  primary
>    D:    FAT   2047Mb  logical
>Leaving 5547Mb of free space, where I want to put Linux.

This is one primary partition (C:) and one extended with a logical
volume in it (D:) .

Quote:>I started with Linux boot and root disks and got scared when I got to
>fdisk.  Initially fdisk reported
>  Device  boot begin start   end   blocks  Id  System
>  /dev/hda1  *     1     1     261  2096451   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
>  /dev/hda2      262   262     522  2096482+  5  Extended
>  /dev/hda5      262   262     522  2096451   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
>So I figured that hda1 was C:, hda5 was D:, and that I needed to split
>up hda2 to hold the root, swap and home Linux partitions.

You can't. You could enlarge the extended partition, though.

Quote:>Next, I deleted partition 2 and then re-added it.  Upon deleting
>partition 2, however, hda5 disappeared.  And that got me spooked since
>I don't want to lose the data I have on D:.

Delete the extended part., lose all volumes within it.

Quote:>As an exercise, I continued with fdisk and made 3 new primary Linux
>partitions, but then I "quit" fdisk without writing the new partition
>table because I was afraid of losing D:.  (Hope that's clear.)

Correct.

Quote:>My questions:
> Was I proceeding correctly or would D: have been lost if I wrote the
> new partition table ?

Yes.

Quote:> Is there a way to do the Linux partitioning without risking the loss
> of D: ?

Yes. You my create two more primary partitions , and additionally you may
enlarge the existing extended partition to take all the rest of the HD
space left . Then you can create other logical volumes within it.

Get PartitionMagic 4.0 for to change the size of the ext. partition.

Michael

Post by Andries Brouw » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: WinNT is already installed on my PC.  The 10Gb disk is partitioned:
:       C:    FAT   2047Mb  primary
:       D:    FAT   2047Mb  logical
: Leaving 5547Mb of free space, where I want to put Linux.

: I started with Linux boot and root disks and got scared when I got to
: fdisk.  Initially fdisk reported

:   Device  boot begin start   end   blocks  Id  System
:   /dev/hda1  *     1     1     261  2096451   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
:   /dev/hda2      262   262     522  2096482+  5  Extended
:   /dev/hda5      262   262     522  2096451   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M

A very old fdisk. These days the "begin" column is gone.

: So I figured that hda1 was C:, hda5 was D:,

Right.

: and that I needed to split
: up hda2 to hold the root, swap and home Linux partitions.

Wrong.
hda2 is the extended partition, the box holding the logicals.
Here it holds hda5.

: Next, I deleted partition 2 and then re-added it.  Upon deleting
: partition 2, however, hda5 disappeared.

If this happens with a recent fdisk it is a bug.
You shouldnt be able to delete an extended partition
without first deleting its contents.

: And that got me spooked since
: I don't want to lose the data I have on D:.

: As an exercise, I continued with fdisk and made 3 new primary Linux
: partitions, but then I "quit" fdisk without writing the new partition
: table because I was afraid of losing D:.  (Hope that's clear.)

Very wise.

: My questions:
:  Was I proceeding correctly or would D: have been lost if I wrote the
:  new partition table ?
:  Is there a way to do the Linux partitioning without risking the loss
:  of D: ?

Try cfdisk.
I think it wil automatically enlarge your extended partition for you.

(You can also add two more primary partitions.)

1. How do I install Suse on a FAT 32 Partition without loosing my stuff!

Hi, I have a 8 Gb Fujitsu splited in two 4Gb,one for win95 and programs and
the other for files. Both are formatted in FAT32 but I would like to install
Suse on my 2nd partition. How do I get around this, because I've read that
linux partitioning prog. (Fdisk or diskdriud, don't know exactly...) can't
do it by it self, that it only works for  FAT16. Can you give me a hint on
what should I do?
Thanks.

2. TV-OUTput from video card under Linux?

3. Installing Linux on FAT partition?

4. Help: USB Disk on Key not working-Mandrake 10

5. Installing in Win95 large FAT 32 partition

6. No JAVA Sound In Netscape

7. Installing 3.0 from a Win 95 FAT-16 partition...

8. where is a library installed?

9. FAT Partition Install

10. it is possible to install linux programs on FAT partition?

11. Installing FreeBSD + Packages from a FAT Partition

12. Installing 3.0 from Win95 FAT-16 partition...

13. Conversion from Linux partition to DOS FAT partition