Printing - Epson Color Stylus 600

Post by James Morri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello All,

Yet another printing question. I have re-installed, recompiled, added
modules changed configurations and still not getting my F&*^& printer to
print !!
Have done the following-

Running Redhat 6.1 kernel - 2.2.12
Paraell port support installed, lp queue defined
Local printer port is found by printtool
added the /etc/modules.conf - alias parport.... fix - did not help

After deleting the queue in printtool and re-adding it, still no print jobs
getting there although it seems they get spooled to the queue. One
interesting thing - when booting up, the lpd command fails to load.

Just about the scrub linux off the drive and give it away as a joke. Any
ides out there ?

James

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: interesting thing - when booting up, the lpd command fails to load.

That's your problem then...  you can't use the print spooler without
the print spooler daemon (though you can just throw the file directly
at the port yourself).

Find why lpd isn't starting. Run it with debugging flags on and see
what it complains about .. or just uninstall it and reinstall it
to see if that helps. I'd need to see the debug logs to tell you
what is wrong. Probably a dead lock file in /var/spool/lpd.pid.
Or possibly a full /tmp.

Peter

Printing - Epson Color Stylus 600

Post by Mike Odegar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You *don't* want the line "alias parport..." in your /etc/modules.conf.
This is for parallel port devices such a zip drive.
My Redhat 6.1 and 6.2 wouldn't find the printer until I removed that line.
Then I rebooted (normally I would just restart service, but don't know which
one this affects).
Then I readded my port in PrintTool, and chose my Epson Stylus Color 600.

Did you try printing directly to Port from the PrintTool?
You click on your printer in the PrintTool, then click on the Tests menu.
If you can't print directly to the printer, you definately have either a
hardware problem (are you sure the printer and cable work?), or with all the
"re-installing, recompiling, and added modules", you may have a messed up
system.

Try this one last setup:

Re-install Redhat 6.1 again, make sure you format the partitions Redhat will
be on.
Once it boots up, login as root, make sure that "alias parport..." is NOT in
your /etc/modules.conf.
If it is, either comment it out (by placing # at the beginning of the line),
or delete the line.
Then reboot.
Then login as root, go into Xwindows (startx), run the PrintTool again, add
the port, setup for Epson Stylus Color 600.
Try first printing "directly to port" from the test menu.

This *should work*.

Mike
=====================

> Hello All,

> Yet another printing question. I have re-installed, recompiled, added
> modules changed configurations and still not getting my F&*^& printer to
> print !!
> Have done the following-

> Running Redhat 6.1 kernel - 2.2.12
> Paraell port support installed, lp queue defined
> Local printer port is found by printtool
> added the /etc/modules.conf - alias parport.... fix - did not help

> After deleting the queue in printtool and re-adding it, still no print jobs
> getting there although it seems they get spooled to the queue. One
> interesting thing - when booting up, the lpd command fails to load.

> Just about the scrub linux off the drive and give it away as a joke. Any
> ides out there ?

> James

Printing - Epson Color Stylus 600

Post by Edwin Chaco » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

first of all...you need the alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc ...fix..other wise
..the lp0(lpt)..port will not be found.Mike whoever ..you are..is talking a bunch
of crap.

okay..once that fix is in..the reboot...or restart..lpd...(also if it still
doesnt work, run it with the debug..options)...then ..add your
printer.using..printtool

> You *don't* want the line "alias parport..." in your /etc/modules.conf.
> This is for parallel port devices such a zip drive.
> My Redhat 6.1 and 6.2 wouldn't find the printer until I removed that line.
> Then I rebooted (normally I would just restart service, but don't know which
> one this affects).
> Then I readded my port in PrintTool, and chose my Epson Stylus Color 600.

> Did you try printing directly to Port from the PrintTool?
> You click on your printer in the PrintTool, then click on the Tests menu.
> If you can't print directly to the printer, you definately have either a
> hardware problem (are you sure the printer and cable work?), or with all the
> "re-installing, recompiling, and added modules", you may have a messed up
> system.

> Try this one last setup:

> Re-install Redhat 6.1 again, make sure you format the partitions Redhat will
> be on.
> Once it boots up, login as root, make sure that "alias parport..." is NOT in
> your /etc/modules.conf.
> If it is, either comment it out (by placing # at the beginning of the line),
> or delete the line.
> Then reboot.
> Then login as root, go into Xwindows (startx), run the PrintTool again, add
> the port, setup for Epson Stylus Color 600.
> Try first printing "directly to port" from the test menu.

> This *should work*.

> Mike
> =====================

> > Hello All,

> > Yet another printing question. I have re-installed, recompiled, added
> > modules changed configurations and still not getting my F&*^& printer to
> > print !!
> > Have done the following-

> > Running Redhat 6.1 kernel - 2.2.12
> > Paraell port support installed, lp queue defined
> > Local printer port is found by printtool
> > added the /etc/modules.conf - alias parport.... fix - did not help

> > After deleting the queue in printtool and re-adding it, still no print jobs
> > getting there although it seems they get spooled to the queue. One
> > interesting thing - when booting up, the lpd command fails to load.

> > Just about the scrub linux off the drive and give it away as a joke. Any
> > ides out there ?

> > James

Printing - Epson Color Stylus 600

Post by James Morri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

THanks for the advice - I managed to get the printer to work following the
redhat erratta fix.

I have an Intel SE400-BX-2 motherboard where you can set the paraell port to
output only, bi-directional, ECP and EPP.

Setting it to Output only allowed the Redhat fix to work as I no longer
requires the use of the external zip drive. This may not give a fast result
for the printing, but at least I have printing now.

Now I am looking at Sound card and VMWare configuration.

Thanks again.

Quote:> Hello All,

> Yet another printing question. I have re-installed, recompiled, added
> modules changed configurations and still not getting my F&*^& printer to
> print !!
> Have done the following-

> Running Redhat 6.1 kernel - 2.2.12
> Paraell port support installed, lp queue defined
> Local printer port is found by printtool
> added the /etc/modules.conf - alias parport.... fix - did not help

> After deleting the queue in printtool and re-adding it, still no print
jobs
> getting there although it seems they get spooled to the queue. One
> interesting thing - when booting up, the lpd command fails to load.

> Just about the scrub linux off the drive and give it away as a joke. Any
> ides out there ?

> James

1. GS Color printing with Epson Stylus 600

Hi there,
        I've recently purchased an Epson Stylus 600.  And have been very
happy with most of the results I've been getting from it using the
Uniprint driver.

But Most of the pale greens in a picture get printed out brown on the page.

I beleive I can play with the transfer functions in the .upp definition but
Im sure someone has already got the "best" match for these arrays.

Does someone have a better transfer array than that provided with
Ghostscript.

Thanks.

--
-- mark heath - Unix System Programmer/Engineer - Netspace Online Systems.
-- http://www.netspace.net.au/     /V\ /\ |Z |<       [Personal /~mheath]

2. chlvcopy - problem after backing up with ADSM

3. Printing on Epson Stylus Color 600

4. Need More Help on Overwrite/Insert Command Line Toggle

5. printing with an epson stylus color 600

6. What UID to use when server drops root privileges?

7. EPSON STYLUS COLOR (600) Color adjustements

8. Last rites declaration of Ioannes Paulus PP. II (Karol Wojtyla)

9. Color adjustments for Epson Stylus Color 600 w/ uniprint driver

10. Epson Stylus Color 600 woes

11. Connecting an epson stylus color 600.

12. Ghostscript: Epson Stylus Color 600

13. Epson Stylus Color 600 vs. Linux