Using my 8088 as a terminal

Post by KATHY HARTBEC » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I know that many of you think that this is a simple question, but I am trying
to set up my old 8088 as a terminal.  When I issue the command
agetty /dev/ttyS0 9600
I do get a login, but after I log in, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance
Seth Hartbecke

Using my 8088 as a terminal

Post by Paul Hughe » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I know that many of you think that this is a simple question, but I am
: trying to set up my old 8088 as a terminal.  When I issue the command
: agetty /dev/ttyS0 9600
: I do get a login, but after I log in, nothing happens.

: What am I doing wrong?

A little more detail would be helpful.  I assume that you are using some
terminal emulation program on the 8088; which one is it and how do you have
it configured?  Is your user name echoed correctly when you respond to the
login prompt?  Do you get prompted for your password?  Do you get a
shell prompt after finishing your password?  Are you running agetty
as the correct user (probably root, though I'm not sure)?

Paul Hughett

Using my 8088 as a terminal

Post by Kevin C. Weissm » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I know that many of you think that this is a simple question, but I am trying
: to set up my old 8088 as a terminal.  When I issue the command
: agetty /dev/ttyS0 9600
: I do get a login, but after I log in, nothing happens.

Try running this command through init; /etc/inittab.

: What am I doing wrong?
:
: Thank you in advance
: Seth Hartbecke
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kevin C. Weissman (KW)            |ACORN "techie" and proud UNIX advocate.

                                  |Natural Selection; It's only natural

Using my 8088 as a terminal

Post by Hans-Joachim Baad » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I know that many of you think that this is a simple question, but I am trying
>to set up my old 8088 as a terminal.  When I issue the command
>agetty /dev/ttyS0 9600
>I do get a login, but after I log in, nothing happens.

You shouldn't start agetty manually. Add an entry to your /etc/inittab,
then enter 'init q' and you should get a proper login.

Your inittab probably already contains some sample entries for the
serial devices. You just have to uncomment and adjust one of these.

hjb

--
Veni, Vidi, VISA:
        I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.

1. Using 8088 computer as a UNIX terminal (over COM1)

Hi,

say 8.0mhz with 640K ram). I have a FreeBSD 4.x server (with not
keyboard and monitor) and would like to use the AMSTRAD as a serial
terminal to the server.

  I could only install a SSH client for DOS (I don't want to install
telnet on the server) on the amtrad, but I would like to see
everything shown on screen while linux is loading (except BIOS
messages of course). I was thinking of installing a DUMP terminal on
the AMSTRAD. I made some research on the web but didn't understand if
I'll be able to use the AMSTRAD's keyboard over the serial line (if
I'm not using ssh and only a dump terminal). I was thinking of
installing DOS on the AMSTRAD since it's floppy based and only support
720K floppies, so everything has to fit on it. And DOS is a lot faster
to load than unix

  How do I configure my FreeBSD server to output everything to COM1

  Which DOS program should I use on the AMSTRAD? I saw some info on
  JCOM,telix,kermit.

  Do you think I should use unix/Linux instead of DOS.
  if yes, would it fit on a 720K floppy with the DUMP terminal?

  Any software suggestions and configurations tips are welcome. I
would also
  appreciate any good links

Thanks in advance

2. How to share 56K Modem internet connection

3. slow connection between terminal(8088) and linux box via serial

4. Monitoring terminal Server

5. 8088 as dumb terminal!!!

6. PPP won't hang up - how do i time out?

7. 8088 terminals

8. Please help me install XFree 86 3.3.3.1 server

9. old 8088 as terminal

10. XT(8088)as terminal

11. X terminal and 8088 or 286

12. old 8088 as terminal