Locked out of root

Post by nick brin » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have no idea exactly what happened or why, but I can no longer log in
as root on my one-man Linux.  (I can log in as a user, but only with a
very
limited functionality.)  This is a catch-22 -- to fix anything I need to
be root but there seems to be no way to log in ast root.
My book accompanying RedHat 5.2 says that I can get back to a working
root by erasing the
password in the passwd file and then entering a new password when I boot
up via
the HD. I tried that by booting with a floppy and editing the passwd
file. but I still can't get to root. Can I remedy this * disease
without reinstalling?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Locked out of root

Post by Richard R Ure » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Did you by any chance delete or modify /etc/securetty ?

Locked out of root

Post by john x » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Have you tried su root?

> I have no idea exactly what happened or why, but I can no longer log in
> as root on my one-man Linux.  (I can log in as a user, but only with a
> very
> limited functionality.)  This is a catch-22 -- to fix anything I need to
> be root but there seems to be no way to log in ast root.
> My book accompanying RedHat 5.2 says that I can get back to a working
> root by erasing the
> password in the passwd file and then entering a new password when I boot
> up via
> the HD. I tried that by booting with a floppy and editing the passwd
> file. but I still can't get to root. Can I remedy this * disease
> without reinstalling?

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Locked out of root

Post by Duane Smecker » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

When you boot with a floppy, the passwd file is
a different one.

Once you get to a shell, you have to mount the
Linux partition:
   mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
The passwd file you want is in
   /mnt/etc/passwd
NOT in
   /etc/passwd

delete everything between the first and second colon (:)
on the line that begins with "root"

That should allow you to log in as root with a blank password.

>Have you tried su root?

>> I have no idea exactly what happened or why, but I can no longer log in
>> as root on my one-man Linux.  (I can log in as a user, but only with a
>> very
>> limited functionality.)  This is a catch-22 -- to fix anything I need to
>> be root but there seems to be no way to log in ast root.
>> My book accompanying RedHat 5.2 says that I can get back to a working
>> root by erasing the
>> password in the passwd file and then entering a new password when I boot
>> up via
>> the HD. I tried that by booting with a floppy and editing the passwd
>> file. but I still can't get to root. Can I remedy this * disease
>> without reinstalling?

>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>--
>John

1. Modem lock outs

Hi,

I've run into a bad problem using tty2A for dial-in.
Basically everything works fine (modem answers,
connection is fine) unless you get disconnect
while running an application.  When this occurs,
the modem will not answer and the only way to get
back in is to have someone on the remote end kill
all your processes on tty2A to send it back to the
getty state.  Line drops are due to bad long distance
connections.  Is there an option we can use that
will allow you to reconnect and continue your
application (process) as if nothing had happened?

We're using SCO OpenServer 5 and have tried 3
different modems with similar results.

Would tty2a be more appropriate?  We have used the
terminal flavor before with good results however
we were using a Digiboard port for the modem which
in hindsight, didn't seem to behave like a native
COM port.

When we've tried using tty2a, the modem will not
answer at all.

Lastly, we're working with default settings for
everything (gettydefs, Devices, inittab, etc) and
we believe (hope) all our modem settings are correct.

What would -HUPCL do for us?  I know it prevents
hangups on the last exit but is that all it does?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jeff Bain

2. HELP! - Changing Cd-rom's / Floppys.

3. netscape rpm from compaq + my box = lock lock lock

4. TIS Firewall Toolkit

5. Modem TX and RX status via Num Lock-Caps Lock-Scroll Lock

6. Need help with strange mod_rewrite behavour

7. locked directory? No access rights as root?

8. Apple heading to obscurity?

9. Newbie: Locked root user

10. HELP - ROOT PASSWORD LOCKED -

11. Netscape has detected a /root/.netscape/lock file????

12. locked my root account...help !

13. xauth: timeout in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority