Installuin problem

Post by Mirza Safder Al » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, I'm Safder from Switzerland

I buy SuSE Linux 6.3 with 6 CD-ROMs and a 480+ page manual about 4 months
ago and still not able to install correctlly in my Intel Pentium III.Is it
possible that I istall with out Window 98 in my machine with out make
partition in my 13 GB Hdisk ??

Installuin problem

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi, I'm Safder from Switzerland

> I buy SuSE Linux 6.3 with 6 CD-ROMs and a 480+ page manual about 4 months
> ago and still not able to install correctlly in my Intel Pentium III.Is it
> possible that I istall with out Window 98 in my machine with out make
> partition in my 13 GB Hdisk ??

> --

AFAIK you will have to make a partition for linux , but that doesn't
have to be a problem. In windows perform a defrag, and then resize the
partition it's on, using eg. FIPS.EXE (Or Partition Magic, but that's
not free, FIPS is probably included on the SuSE discs)

BTW by using something like VMWare you can start a virtual machine in
which you can install linux. This way you'll be able to install linux on
a file without repartitioning your HDD. I don't advise it though. Try
installing it the normal way and you'll learn a lot and lose the fear of
playing around with you PC.

You might want to backup important data on you windows disc. It's not
likely to get lost, but you can't be sure (repartioning can mess stuff
up, but I'd do it anyway)

Hey, reading you question again, do you want to lose windows, or keep
it?
If you want to lose it, well you can probably forget about backing-up.
And then you can install linux in one partition. I most certainly
wouldn't do that (make at least a swap partition), but it can be done.

Eric

Installuin problem

Post by DeAnn Iwa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

     You should be able to install Linux (and Suse 6.3) either with or
without Win98 on the system.  Linux will need partitions on the drive to
function, however.  (Actually, you can install Linux using the DOS file
system--UMSDOS version.  but suse is not set up to do this as an option
from menu selection.  And since this is not as effecient or robust as
using Linux own file system, it is usually suited only to speacial
cases...as when someone wants to "try out" Linux or wants a small
distribution for telneting with X, etc.)
      If you could be more specifica about what you are trying and what
errors you are getting, you may be able to get more help.  Also, if you
have the official distribution, you should have access to support from
Suse to help you get installed.

> Hi, I'm Safder from Switzerland

> I buy SuSE Linux 6.3 with 6 CD-ROMs and a 480+ page manual about 4 months
> ago and still not able to install correctlly in my Intel Pentium III.Is it
> possible that I istall with out Window 98 in my machine with out make
> partition in my 13 GB Hdisk ??

> --

  diwan.vcf
< 1K Download

Installuin problem

Post by Fran » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, Safder from Switzerland
no, you need at least two partitions for SuSE.
Yes you can install it without Win98. The 1st and 2nd CD are bootable.
The first has all the file-system in it.
The second is the swap-partition, used, when there is not enough memory.
Make sure that the first partition is within the first 1024 cylinders
of your harddrive. If not, Linux cannot boot.
Just divide your hdd like that, tell YaST, there is a swap-partition and
mount the first partition I mentioned,
on /
If you are not sure weather this partition is within  the 1024 cyls.
dont worry - Linux will tell you...

If so: set up a small boot partition (40 MB will be fairly enough) on
the beginning of your hdd and mount it on /boot
Mount the rest on /
Tell YaST about the Swap...

Good luck

--
The moon is a planet just like the Earth, only it is even deader.

1. problems, problems, 37.5 GB, problems, 1024, problems...

I have an IBM 37.5 GB hard disk and I'm trying to duel boot Windows 98 SE
and Linux.  In the oversize disk HOWTO
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.1), it mentions
that a distribution running the 2.2.14 kernel will survive the insane 33.8
GB Linux booting limit.  Does this mean that I can successfully install
RedHat Linux 6.2 (the new RedHat with the Linux 2.2.14 kernel) on hard drive
with partitions like:
--------
|  Windoze  (GBs 1-19)
|            |
|            |
|            |
---------
|     RH 6.2 (20-37.5)
|            |
|            |
|            |
---------

Note:  I can't seem to duel boot the RH 6.1 and Windoze.  I've had many
problems each and every time I try it and I've had to delete all partitions
on my drive and install Windoze using its own CDROM disc and its simple
fdisk.

2. Dosemu problem. cannot load shared lib

3. Installation problems, problems, problems!

4. Growing /var/adm/wtmpx on headless Solaris 2.5 with CDE 1.0.2

5. PPP stands for Problem Problem Problem

6. Forwarding mail to another account?

7. Problems... problems ... more problems

8. Getting printing to work?

9. Problems, Problems, Problems

10. Problem problem problem

11. Linux died...problems, problems, problems....

12. Linux Problems Problems Problems ... DNS, HD, X Windows

13. Problems Problems Problems.... DNS, HD, X