FDISK - recognizing 4GB HARD DRIVE

Post by Shawn Prindl » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have a 4 GB hard drive.  I want to use 3 GB for Win 98 and 1 GB for Linux
Red Hat 5.2.
I formatted my c: drive but when I try to repartition through fdisk it only
recognizes that I have a 2 GB hard drive.  Is there a way I can get fdisk to
partition 3 GB for windows 98 and 1 GB for Linux?

Thanks for any help,
SHAWN

FDISK - recognizing 4GB HARD DRIVE

Post by ian » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

with fdsik in DOS - Win95 OSR2/WIn 98 it asks whether to include large
disk support you must make it yes or else it won't go above 2 GB

> I have a 4 GB hard drive.  I want to use 3 GB for Win 98 and 1 GB for Linux
> Red Hat 5.2.
> I formatted my c: drive but when I try to repartition through fdisk it only
> recognizes that I have a 2 GB hard drive.  Is there a way I can get fdisk to
> partition 3 GB for windows 98 and 1 GB for Linux?

> Thanks for any help,
> SHAWN

1. fdisk doesn't recognize 2nd hard drive

I have Red Hat 6.0 installed on a machine and it seems to work fine. I
installed it as a "server" and it automagically created four - six
partitions on the first hard drive.

Although I did have a second hard drive installed at the time of
installation, I have not been able to get the OS to recognize it. Both
hard drives (plus the CD ROM) are recognized by the BIOS at boot up.
(And both were working fine under Windows 9x.) The message I get when I
attempt fdisk 1 is "Unable to open 1". (If I try fdisk /dev/hdb then I
get "Unable to open /dev/hdb".)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How can you tell when you are really old?

3. Large SCSI hard drive and partitions (4GB drive)

4. A general question on current backup equipment.

5. How to get a 4GB hard disk recognised

6. How bad is WordPerfect 5.1

7. Can't use fdisk with 4GB SCSI drive -- HELP

8. SCO 3.2.4.2, ignores audit event mask

9. Fdisk/mke2fs a 4GB Seagate ST15150N drive?

10. Large (>8.4GB) hard drive partition

11. Please recommend a quality 4GB hard drive

12. HELP: ST41650 1.4GB Hard Drive

13. DOS fdisk won't recognize changes made by linux fdisk