Linux, Solaris x86 & Win95?

Post by Murp » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install a system with the following setup:

    disk 1 (1.6gig) - Linux
    disk 2 (1.2gig) - Solaris x86
    disk 3 (540mb)  - Win95

I have the Linux and Win95 drives already set up, and will
take them out of the system before installing Solaris, in
case things get screwed up. After I get Solaris installed,
what would be the best way to set things up as far as LILO
(or whatever boot manager is necessary)? Which drive should
be the 1st drive, or does it matter? Any other snags to look
out for?

Please reply via email.

Linux, Solaris x86 & Win95?

Post by bill davids » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[ mailed and posted, as requested ]

| I am trying to install a system with the following setup:
|
|     disk 1 (1.6gig) - Linux
|     disk 2 (1.2gig) - Solaris x86
|     disk 3 (540mb)  - Win95

|                                          Which drive should
| be the 1st drive, or does it matter? Any other snags to look
| out for?

LILO and Linux don't care, I don't know about Solaris. I think you
want to make the Linux partition on the 1st disk *not* active, so
DOS will ignore it.

 last possible moment - but no longer"  -me

Linux, Solaris x86 & Win95?

Post by Ken Kham,456-????,RAAF,Au » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> | I am trying to install a system with the following setup:
> |
> |     disk 1 (1.6gig) - Linux
> |     disk 2 (1.2gig) - Solaris x86
> |     disk 3 (540mb)  - Win95

> |                                          Which drive should
> | be the 1st drive, or does it matter? Any other snags to look
> | out for?

Linux is happy to be anywhere, that's why it is such a flexible as well
as great OS :)
Solaris x86 will complain not being on the first drive but eventually comply.
I bet Win95, being a M$ product will refuse to be on anything but the first
drive.
But being a M$ product, it is also dumb and can be fooled. If you install
linux on the first disk, M$ Win95 will not recognized the disk format and
think that your second drive is drive C: and is the disk with the master boot.
So the choice is yours!
Ken

Linux, Solaris x86 & Win95?

Post by Konstantinos Agour » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>> | I am trying to install a system with the following setup:
>> |
>> |     disk 1 (1.6gig) - Linux
>> |     disk 2 (1.2gig) - Solaris x86
>> |     disk 3 (540mb)  - Win95

>> |                                          Which drive should
>> | be the 1st drive, or does it matter? Any other snags to look
>> | out for?
>Linux is happy to be anywhere, that's why it is such a flexible as well
>as great OS :)
>Solaris x86 will complain not being on the first drive but eventually comply.
>I bet Win95, being a M$ product will refuse to be on anything but the first
>drive.
>But being a M$ product, it is also dumb and can be fooled. If you install
>linux on the first disk, M$ Win95 will not recognized the disk format and
>think that your second drive is drive C: and is the disk with the master boot.
>So the choice is yours!
>Ken

I have two disks with Linux, Sol x86 and Dos/Windows. Linux and Dos are on the
first Disk. Solaris and Dos on the second. Solaris complains when you install
that you would need a bootdisk. But if you use lilo you can install it anywhere.
It is just important, that lilo resides in the MBR of the first Disk regardless
which operating system lives there.

Konstantin
--

Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185
"Treason, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder." Garak

Linux, Solaris x86 & Win95?

Post by Chang Zho » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >Linux is happy to be anywhere, that's why it is such a flexible as well
> >as great OS :)
> >Solaris x86 will complain not being on the first drive but eventually comply.
> >I bet Win95, being a M$ product will refuse to be on anything but the first
> >drive.
> >But being a M$ product, it is also dumb and can be fooled. If you install
> >linux on the first disk, M$ Win95 will not recognized the disk format and
> >think that your second drive is drive C: and is the disk with the master boot.
> >So the choice is yours!
> >Ken
> I have two disks with Linux, Sol x86 and Dos/Windows. Linux and Dos are on the
> first Disk. Solaris and Dos on the second. Solaris complains when you install
> that you would need a bootdisk. But if you use lilo you can install it anywhere.
> It is just important, that lilo resides in the MBR of the first Disk regardless
> which operating system lives there.

> Konstantin
> --

IS this true for a single large disk,
my experience seems to indicate a restriction
on the order of the three OS's on the various
partitions of the disk ?
--- Chang

1. SunRAY Server Software for x86 Linux && x86 Solaris

Hi Guys,
there will be a SunRAY Server Software version for x86 Linux ans Solaris
(who cares? :-)) ). Anybody has already a alpha or beta version of this?

SUN USA plans are to realease the software on new years eve. :-)

        Thomas

2. Netscape problem

3. &&&&& WHERE TO GET FREE SOLARIS FOR X86

4. Am I in the Right Place?

5. Solaris 2.4 x86 & win95 --> Possible??

6. proftpd -- "could not retrieve directory listing"

7. Win95 & Solaris 7 (x86)

8. Devices and FSTAB

9. Multi-Boot Solaris 2.5 x86 & Win95?

10. WIN95 & Solaris 2.5 x86 on same HD

11. Multi-Boot Solaris 2.5 x86 & Win95?

12. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc