Help w/ install of Caldera 1.3

Post by Gregory J. Ric » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have used Linux in the past but this is the first time I have tried to
install it myself. I received a Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 cd and my cd cios does
not support booting from a cd-rom drive so i have to boot from floppies. I
made an install floppy and a modules floppy I then restart my system with
the install floppy in the a drive and the caldera ol cd-rom in the cd-rom
drive. The kernel boots fine into LISA and that's were the problems start.
LISA does not display text. I just get a blue screen and the dialogs are
filled with cryptic text. I have no clue what I am doing wrong I have tried
to make a new install floppy and used different floppy disk. As fare as I
can tell my computer is completely compatible with Caldera Linux.

Pen 60
8MB of RAM
ATAPI CD-ROM drive (cyCDROM)
ATAPI Hard drive  (CyHardDrive)
S3Trio64 Video Card
Standard keyboard and floppy
33.6kbps serial modem

Pleas Help......

Thanks in advance,
Greg

1. Caldera 1.3 vs Caldera 2.3

It's a amjor upgrade. The biggest thing is that COL 1.3 is built on the 2.0.35
kernel and COL 2.3 is based on the 2.2.10 kernel. The 2.2.x kernel supports a
wider range of hardware, including PCI sound cards, USB and quite a bit more.
There are a whole lot of other improvements at various levels... too many to
list. COL 2.3 also has a much simpler, graphical installation routine -- a plus
for a first-time installation, and if you buy the commercial package, it comes
with a lot more additional software.

Now, there are people out there who'll use COL 1.3 and just upgrade the kernel,
but you don't want to do this if you have no experience with Linux. Go with COL
2.3. You'll be happier, and you'll be more likely to become a concert from that
other OS.

MF

2. Lilo

3. Caldera Open Linux 1.3 Install Crash

4. how to change window-manager under RH4.2/Xfree86-3.3/xdm

5. Trouble installing Caldera 1.3 open linux

6. NFS inconsistent with hard links

7. Do I need to replace My PNP modem to install Caldera 1.3 correctly

8. Newbie is choosing tools - recommendations please?

9. How do I Upgrade/Install the new libc.so.6 ......Caldera 1.3

10. Installing Caldera OpenLinux 1.3

11. Caldera 1.3 Installation {Help Please} Partitions

12. Caldera Open Linux 1.3 Fips ; installation probs help please ;-)

13. Caldera 1.3 Installation {Help Please} Partitioning