Chinon 535 CD-ROM Cannot Run With Linux?.

Chinon 535 CD-ROM Cannot Run With Linux?.

Post by JLP » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I finally was able to make my Adaptec SCSI-Lite controller to be visible
to Linux and my Chinon CD-ROM is there.  However, I'm not able to mount it.

According to InfoMagic tech. support, the Chinon 535 CD-ROM has a known
problem running with Linux (he found it on the kernel source code --
scsi.c), which puts it on the Linux hardware black list.  However, he said
that some people have been able to work around this problem.

Does anybody know how: I hate to have to discard a good Chinon SCSI CD-ROM.

Thank you,

--
Jorge Padron

--

Chinon 535 CD-ROM Cannot Run With Linux?.

Post by Tim Bas » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I've been using a Chinon 535 for almost a year with absolutely
no problem for both files systems and recently listening to muzak.

: I finally was able to make my Adaptec SCSI-Lite controller to be visible
: to Linux and my Chinon CD-ROM is there.  However, I'm not able to mount it.

: According to InfoMagic tech. support, the Chinon 535 CD-ROM has a known
: problem running with Linux (he found it on the kernel source code --
: scsi.c), which puts it on the Linux hardware black list.  However, he said
: that some people have been able to work around this problem.

: Does anybody know how: I hate to have to discard a good Chinon SCSI CD-ROM.

: Thank you,

: --
: Jorge Padron

: --

--

| Tim Bass                            |
| Principal Network Systems Engineer  |  "don't feel like the Lone Ranger....
| SRG, Ltd.                           |
|  http://www.silkroad.com/           |

Chinon 535 CD-ROM Cannot Run With Linux?.

Post by JLP » Wed, 12 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> Jorge,

> I have spent about 20 miserable hours trying to get LINUX to load
> from and use a SCSI CDROM.  You might be able to guess it was the
> CHINON 535.  I do have it working however.  I had to use either
> the "loaded" or "scsi" Slackware distributions to get it to work.
> The distribution I wanted, "scsinet", simply would not work.

> I am using an NCR PCI scsi host adapter, NCR8250S which uses the
> 53C825 chip.  This host adapter blazes under DOS - much faster
> in transfers than a 2940.

> Let me know how you make out.

> I would give you more info, but right now I am fighting LILO.  I can
> boot from my configured boot floppy but not from my hard disk.

The tech support guys over at InfoMagic told that the Chinon 535 is
*not* supported by the current Slackware distribution -- they said that I
might be able to hack it but they recommend that I use another CD-ROM.

So, I installed my old Toshiba CD-ROM and ... IT WORKED!.

As far as setting up LILO to boot from the hard drive, I ran the
Slackware 'Setup' installation which configures LILO: of course, my case
was very simple: I only have one partition, Linux, and no DOS or OS/2.

Thank you and keep in touch!.

--
Jorge Padron

Post by David Hardis » Thu, 13 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: I finally was able to make my Adaptec SCSI-Lite controller to be visible
: to Linux and my Chinon CD-ROM is there.  However, I'm not able to mount it.

: According to InfoMagic tech. support, the Chinon 535 CD-ROM has a known
: problem running with Linux (he found it on the kernel source code --
: scsi.c), which puts it on the Linux hardware black list.  However, he said
: that some people have been able to work around this problem.

: Does anybody know how: I hate to have to discard a good Chinon SCSI CD-ROM.

: Thank you,

: --
: Jorge Padron

: --

I have a Chinon 535 hung off a SB16 SCSI controller (this uses an
Adaptec chip).  I went through a lot of head banging this past weekend
when I tried to install Slackware v2.1 (which included the 1.1.59 kernel).

I ran into the same problem that you speak of where no matter what I would
do I could not get the drive to mount.

I finally seemed to have found the problem.

When I specify my SCSI setup (my controller has no bios so it must be
entered by hand), I use the following line:

The last parameter seems to be the key. A value of 1 enables
disconnect/reconnect while a value of 0 disables it.  All of the linux
docs showed this value being defaulted to '1' so that is what I used
initially and it didn't work.

After I tried setting this to zero, I was able to mount the ROM drive
and do a 'ls' on the contents without a problem.  I guess the 535 either
doesn't support disconnect/reconnect or doesn't implement it correctly.

I saw the blacklist entry in the scsi driver.  It didn't have anything
do to with disconnect/reconnect but said that the drive would hang if
it was probed for any LUN other than 0.  I also seem to remember that
it referred to a specific version of the CD driver firmware, so it could
have been corrected in some later revisions.

When I bought the 535 I thought I was getting a decent, quick, double
speed drive and I've been really happy with it so far.  It's going to
be a real bummer if I can't get it to play nice with Linux.

Good Luck,

Post by David F. Hepn » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> : I finally was able to make my Adaptec SCSI-Lite controller to be visible
> : to Linux and my Chinon CD-ROM is there.  However, I'm not able to mount it.

> : According to InfoMagic tech. support, the Chinon 535 CD-ROM has a known
> : problem running with Linux (he found it on the kernel source code --
> : scsi.c), which puts it on the Linux hardware black list.  However, he said
> : that some people have been able to work around this problem.

> : Does anybody know how: I hate to have to discard a good Chinon SCSI CD-ROM.

> : Thank you,

> : --
> : Jorge Padron

> : --

> I have a Chinon 535 hung off a SB16 SCSI controller (this uses an
> Adaptec chip).  I went through a lot of head banging this past weekend
> when I tried to install Slackware v2.1 (which included the 1.1.59 kernel).

> I ran into the same problem that you speak of where no matter what I would
> do I could not get the drive to mount.

> I finally seemed to have found the problem.

> When I specify my SCSI setup (my controller has no bios so it must be
> entered by hand), I use the following line:

> The last parameter seems to be the key. A value of 1 enables
> disconnect/reconnect while a value of 0 disables it.  All of the linux
> docs showed this value being defaulted to '1' so that is what I used
> initially and it didn't work.

> After I tried setting this to zero, I was able to mount the ROM drive
> and do a 'ls' on the contents without a problem.  I guess the 535 either
> doesn't support disconnect/reconnect or doesn't implement it correctly.

> I saw the blacklist entry in the scsi driver.  It didn't have anything
> do to with disconnect/reconnect but said that the drive would hang if
> it was probed for any LUN other than 0.  I also seem to remember that
> it referred to a specific version of the CD driver firmware, so it could
> have been corrected in some later revisions.

> When I bought the 535 I thought I was getting a decent, quick, double
> speed drive and I've been really happy with it so far.  It's going to
> be a real bummer if I can't get it to play nice with Linux.

> Good Luck,

<scsi id> is the location of the SCSI controller card on the SCSI BUS.  I
have been using the CD 535 on a Future Domain 8 bit SCSI controler with out
any problems.

You can recompile your kernel so that you don't have to enter the aha152x=
stuff by hand.  You have to go into the Makefile in the
/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/ directory and change a few lines at the top of
the file:

#AHA152X        = -DDEBUG -DAUTOCONF -DIRQ=11 -DSCSI_ID=7 -DRECONNECT=0 \
#          -DPORTBASE=0x340 -DSKIP_BIOSTEST -DDONT_SNARF

AHA152X = -DDEBUG_AHA152X -DAUTOCONF

^remove the comments on the first two lines and put a comment on the last
line so that it looks like this.

AHA152X        = -DDEBUG -DAUTOCONF -DIRQ=11 -DSCSI_ID=7 -DRECONNECT=0 \
          -DPORTBASE=0x340 -DSKIP_BIOSTEST -DDONT_SNARF

#AHA152X = -DDEBUG_AHA152X -DAUTOCONF

After you recompile the kernel your SCSI card will be seen at boot time.
In the  Makefile is where you will find the veriable to change for
reconnect.

David Hepner

Chinon 535 CD-ROM Cannot Run With Linux?.

Post by Ze Ji » Mon, 17 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi there,
        I have no problem with that CD-ROM.  I have been using it since
I use linux.  I have it on the same bus as my hard drive.  By the
way, I am running kernel 1.1.94 and using the Adaptec 2842A controller.
Maybe that will shed some lights. :)

ze
--