PPP and defaultroute??

Post by Alexandre Dure » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I need some help with the following.
> I can make the connection to my ISP but can get no further. PPP is not
> replacing existing default route eth0 . I have included the log file
> below. What file to I need to edit to correct this?

Do you have the "defaultroute" option in your config file ?

Alex.
--

Ecole Centrale Paris, France - University of California at Los Angeles, USA

PPP and defaultroute??

Post by Thomas Zenke » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I need some help with the following.

> I can make the connection to my ISP but can get no further. PPP is not
> replacing existing default route eth0 . I have included the log file
> below. What file to I need to edit to correct this?

route add default gw isp's_ipaddress_where_you_connect_to ppp0

I'm not sure about syntax, but more or less it should do the job (see
man route).

I put it in your dialing-script.

hope this helps
thom

PPP and defaultroute??

Post by gerald clar » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > I need some help with the following.

> > I can make the connection to my ISP but can get no further. PPP is not
> > replacing existing default route eth0 . I have included the log file
> > below. What file to I need to edit to correct this?

> route add default gw isp's_ipaddress_where_you_connect_to ppp0

> I'm not sure about syntax, but more or less it should do the job (see
> man route).

> I put it in your dialing-script.

> hope this helps
> thom

ppp can't add default route if it all ready exists. Have your startup
script remove the default route before it brings up ppp.
--
Remove the -bogus- portions of my return address!

PPP and defaultroute??

Post by Brian McCaule » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > I need some help with the following.

> > I can make the connection to my ISP but can get no further. PPP is not
> > replacing existing default route eth0 . I have included the log file
> > below. What file to I need to edit to correct this?

I wish people would stop asking "what file do I need to edit?" and
look.

So you've got a bogus default route defined?  You want to remove it
right.

Just about all configs are under /etc somewhere so...

grep "route.*default" $( find /etc )

Quote:> route add default gw isp's_ipaddress_where_you_connect_to ppp0

> I'm not sure about syntax, but more or less it should do the job (see
> man route).

> I put it in your dialing-script.

That would fail as it would be executed too soon.

If you put this anywhere it should be in your /etc/ppp/ip-up and it
should be:

route add default gw $5

"isp's_ipaddress_where_you_connect_to" is passed to ip-up as the 5th
argument.

Of course this is still only a kludge, and a much simpler kludge is
simply remove the bogus route before you start PPP.

route del default

The real solution is still to remove whatever is creating the bogus
default route in the first place.

1. RedHat 4.0:PPP : ppp/defaultroute

HI,
when I fire up my PPP linke, everything goes fine, up to the point where
the defaultroute should be set to the ppp0 ... then it gives me a
' ppp not replacing existing default route to eth0'

I had it working perfectly under 1.2.13, but now this 2.0.18 with the
new pppd broke everything, including diald, which doesn't work either
but I have to get ppp up cleanly first...

does anyone know a direction for a solution, or please feel free to
email me if you need more info!!!
it the vanilla redhat 4, which no upgrades, bugfixes or anything
else...

cu
simon

--
                          When roses are red
                        they're ready to pluck.

2. SCSI & Afterstep help needed for newbie

3. PPP not replacing DEFAULTROUTE?

4. 24x CD Drives with Linux

5. PPP connexion prob or Defaultroute .. ?? ...

6. Root an Apache box on *BSD or Linux or Solaris (x86)

7. Defaultroute not set on ppp

8. Getting mail regardless of which workstation... using nfs

9. PPP on 2.1/68k: defaultroute errs.

10. PPP defaultroute/DNS problem

11. Defaultroute : How do i get it away for etho for ppp

12. PPP -- defaultroute not working.

13. ppp defaultroute problems