XFree86 Config Problems

Post by David Rei » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Try doing a CTRL-ALT-+ (using the + key on the numberic keypad).  This key
sequence will allow you to toggle thru the different video settings.  By
default, when you config your X server, they always have it start with the
lower settings ie. 480X300, then 512x384, then 640x480, and on up.  You can
go in and change or edit the XF86Config file and comment out the lower
resolutions by putting a # in front of the modeline statements that define
them.  Otherwise, when doing your X server configuration, when it comes to
setting the video modes, it should allow you to reverse the order that they
are selected in.  ie start at 1024x768, then 800x600, etc.

Hope this helps.

David

> Sorry for the stupid question, but I need help.  Here is my setup:

> PII/233
> 15"SVGA AST 5N Monitor - Horiz 30-50 Vert 50-120
> Diamond Stealth 3D 4000 Turbo (S3/Virge based)
> 4GB Maxtor HD - 2MB partitioned to Win95/2MB partioned to Caldera OpenBase
> 1.2

> I run XF86Setup without incident.  The moment I am done the screen goes to
> some
> ridiculously enormous size and I can't see anything. Tried editing the
> XF86Config file;no dice.  Do I have to XF86Config manually?

> Any info would be of great help.

> Thanks all
> neman

XFree86 Config Problems

Post by nema » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Sorry for the stupid question, but I need help.  Here is my setup:

PII/233
15"SVGA AST 5N Monitor - Horiz 30-50 Vert 50-120
Diamond Stealth 3D 4000 Turbo (S3/Virge based)
4GB Maxtor HD - 2MB partitioned to Win95/2MB partioned to Caldera OpenBase
1.2

I run XF86Setup without incident.  The moment I am done the screen goes to
some
ridiculously enormous size and I can't see anything. Tried editing the
XF86Config file;no dice.  Do I have to XF86Config manually?

Any info would be of great help.

Thanks all
neman

1. XFree86 config problem

Can anyone please help

I have a Tseng Et4000 video card and a Precision monitor, everytime I try
to start X my screen goes blank and everything locks up. I cannot find
the correct timings etc for my X86Config file.

SuperProbe gives the following results

Chipset   Tseng ET4000/W32p Rev D

memory    1024 K

Ramdac    AcuMos   ADAC  15/16/24 - bit DAC

If anyone can help I would be very greatful

2. Backspace mapping question.

3. XFree86 Config problem on ThinkPad 755CX

4. using lp -T hplaser on Dell SVR4 (2.1)

5. Newbie w/ XFree86 config problems...

6. Help!!!! Home-Network-mini-HOWTO

7. XFree86 config problem with AST Advantage 8120p

8. Linux on a third hd

9. KDE or XFree86 config problem

10. Diff between XFree86 and XFree86-4 config files?

11. Dell laptop X ddcprobe redhat-config-xfree86 problem solved!

12. Problems with Dual Headed config and Xfree86 4.0

13. XFree86/xvidtune problems - i.e. missing /var/ld/ld.config etc.