Sony SDT-2000 Can't mount KDE's tape backup.

Sony SDT-2000 Can't mount KDE's tape backup.

Post by Spotillius Maximus aka » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

So far, I'm slowly getting the system where I want it.  I tried mounting it
with /dev/st0 or /dev/tape and it say's it can't find tape.  Is there a
driver needed for this drive?  Thanks again for the help.

Ed

Sony SDT-2000 Can't mount KDE's tape backup.

Post by Gene Hesket » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Spotillius Maximus;

 SMa> So far, I'm slowly getting the system where I want it.  I tried mounting
 SMa> it with /dev/st0 or /dev/tape and it say's it can't find tape.  Is there
 SMa> a driver needed for this drive?  Thanks again for the help.

If you are refering to kdat, its busted here too. I even ran it with
strace, and it *never* asked for a device.  Ditto for taper, it core
dumped and exited about 50 files into getting ready to do a 22,000 file
backup.

However, if you can find a RH5.1 disk, it has a copy of bru2000 on it,
and with one semi-major quibble, it appears to be working just fine with
my 8 gig DDS2 drive.

That semi-major quibble is that I can command mt to do an 'seod', and it
takes about a minute for the drive to do it all by itself.  The reels
positively wind up like a fire siren.  Ask bru to append, and its now
been hammering along at the search for EOD for over 30 minutes, while the
bus is busier than that famous cat on a tin roof, and the drive sounds
like its being abused, lots of rattling sounds.  Its looking for the end
of about 3.8 gigs worth of stuff already on the tape.

Unforch, bru doesn't take the drives status report, easily available
from mt, as gospel, but has to rewind it and do its own search.

If its reading at 1x to find it, then thats going to be an additiional
2+ hours on the mechansim and tape that is a total waste IMO.

But, OTOH, it works, doing the initial 3.8 gigs worth in 2:05, and
another 2:05 or so for the verify pass.  Not too shabby.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
--

Sony SDT-2000 Can't mount KDE's tape backup.

Post by William B. Cattel » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> So far, I'm slowly getting the system where I want it.  I tried mounting it
> with /dev/st0 or /dev/tape and it say's it can't find tape.  Is there a
> driver needed for this drive?  Thanks again for the help.

> Ed

I was seeing the same message when logged in as myself.  It
can mount a tape if I start the program up from the root
account though.  Try to log in as root or su to it.  It
works both ways for me.

Bill
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy
Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

Sony SDT-2000 Can't mount KDE's tape backup.

Post by Spotillius Maximus aka » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Bill, thanks for responding.  I tried a few other things last night and I
was able to get KDE's tape utility to mount the drive twice, but the program
locked when I tried to format a tape.  It did prompt me that I had an
unformatted tape installed, which I did.  The tape mounted as /dev/st0 just
twice and no more after that.  What seems strange is that I think I tried
mounting it as /dev/st0 other times without success. And I'm logged in as
root everytime.  Is this pilot error or a problem with KDE's backup utility?
Maybe I need to try a different backup utility?  Thanks.

Ed

Quote:

>I was seeing the same message when logged in as myself.  It
>can mount a tape if I start the program up from the root
>account though.  Try to log in as root or su to it.  It
>works both ways for me.

>Bill

Sony SDT-2000 Can't mount KDE's tape backup.

Post by Spotillius Maximus aka » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>If you are refering to kdat, its busted here too. I even ran it with
>strace, and it *never* asked for a device.  Ditto for taper, it core
>dumped and exited about 50 files into getting ready to do a 22,000 file
>backup.

Yes, that's the one.  I just did a full backup with tar and it worked fine,
at least I think.  I will confirm if it backed up everything tomorrow when I
get some time.  I guess I'll s*the kdat idea for now.  I don't know if
was me playing with the permissions or if it will still do the same thing in
kdat, but, at least it's working.

Quote:>However, if you can find a RH5.1 disk, it has a copy of bru2000 on it,
>and with one semi-major quibble, it appears to be working just fine with
>my 8 gig DDS2 drive.

I will look into that program.  Thanks for your help.

Ed

Post by Robert Fargh » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Bill, thanks for responding.  I tried a few other things last night and I
>was able to get KDE's tape utility to mount the drive twice, but the program
>locked when I tried to format a tape.
> Is this pilot error or a problem with KDE's backup utility?

  I tried to use kdat to do a backup tonight as it's been far too long since
I did one.  I think kdat is seriously broken; it saw my that I had a tape in
the drive (Connor CTMS 3200) once and asked to format it.  I let it format the
tape; after that, kdat insisted there was no tape in the drive.

  Strikes me that you'd want your backup utility to be as reliable a piece of
software as you've got on your system.  Even if you could get kdat to make
a backup, I don't think I'd trust it or rely on it.  And if you can't do that,
it's a waste of disk space.

Quote:>Maybe I need to try a different backup utility?  Thanks.

  I had bought the Official Red Hat 5.0 distro a while back.  This includes a
licensed version of BRU2000-PE (Personal Edition, version 15.0) together with
their xbru GUI frontend. It seems to work very well. BRU stands for Backup and
Restore Utility, BTW.   http://www.estinc.com/

Cheers,
Rob