eth0 not recognized on RH 6.1 install

Post by Robert Powe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I can't get eth0 at all on my new install of RedHat 6.1and my 3Com
3C509b. I tried turning off PNP on the NIC, but it still isn't
recognized during install. I can use ifconfig to manually install
eth0, but after reboot it shows eth0 "failed". I'm a Linux newbie, so
any suggestions on what I might need to do would be greatly
appreciated.

Post by Prasanth A. Kum » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I can't get eth0 at all on my new install of RedHat 6.1and my 3Com
> 3C509b. I tried turning off PNP on the NIC, but it still isn't
> recognized during install. I can use ifconfig to manually install
> eth0, but after reboot it shows eth0 "failed". I'm a Linux newbie, so
> any suggestions on what I might need to do would be greatly
> appreciated.

I could never get by 3c509b recognized during install either. If I am
not mistakes, Redhat no longer configured some of this hardware during
install...

Anyway, add the following to your /etc/conf.modules:

alias eth0 3c509

Now reboot or load the module manually and run netcfg or linuxconf to
fill in the necessary networking info.

--
Prasanth Kumar

1. RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

Metrobook II  Laptop -
    233 mHz PII
    80MB RAM
    Logitech GlidePoint touch pad
    TEAC CD220E CDROM drive
    1.4 GB HDD

I try to install RH 6.1 from CD from the new RHEA-044 boot disk.  It
says it finds a PS/2 port (is this the touch pad?).

If I give no parameters to the boot: prompt, it continues to read the
CD, the screen turns blue, it continues to read the CD and then it
freezes.  The only way out is the power switch.

If I give "text" to the boot: prompt, it reads the CD, offers me a
choice of languages and freezes.

With Mandrake, I can choose language and keyboard and the CD is read for
all the packages.  It says something like "some sort of PS/2 device
found on psaux" and freezes.

I've searched the "linux on a laptop" sites and can't fine the Metrobook
mentioned.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
____________

Sr. Software Engineer
Fluke Corporation - Networks Division
  (formerly Communications Technology Corp)
Dallas, Texas

2. console permissions

3. RH 6.1 install not working

4. Probs with PCI sound card (heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp)

5. RH 6.1 install says not enough memory

6. Review website with a difference

7. RH 6.1 After Install boots to command prompt not Graphical Prompt???

8. Recommended Memory/VM Amounts?

9. AHA 1542 Scsi not working under RH 6.1; worked fine under RH 5.2

10. delaying eth0 configuration (RH 6.1)

11. RH 6.1 freezing when "shutting down interface eth0"

12. RH 6.1 freezes shutting down interface eth0

13. Setting eth0 host & domain name by hand on RH 6.1