edit the content

Post by SumatranUS » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

How do I edit or view files?
I know my pc can display Xwindow with by 800&600 if I did install "Custom"
but I Use "workstation" instalation I can't see Xwindow(famour grey window).
Eventough, I try to copy the same config when It worked(using custom
install) still can't display Xwindow. When I tried to do Xconfigurator the
message says" the XF86Config resides in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11". I would like to
see the readme or the sample of the config but my problenm is I do not know
how to open. "edit" command doesn't work.
Please help
Thank You

edit the content

Post by Roy Stogn » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>How do I edit or view files?

The simplest editor installed on your system is most likely "pico".
---
Roy Stogner

edit the content

Post by Duane Elmer Smecker » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

And the simplest viewer is 'more' but I prefer 'less'
For example, to see the password file type the command:
   less /etc/passwd

To use it you should know the following:
    q    Quit
    /    Search forward  e.g.: /teed will find Guaranteed
    h    Help

>>How do I edit or view files?

>The simplest editor installed on your system is most likely "pico".
>---
>Roy Stogner

edit the content

:
: To use it you should know the following:
:     q    Quit
:     /    Search forward  e.g.: /teed will find Guaranteed
:     h    Help

and if you hit v, you start editing the file in vi, which comes in really
handy at times.

:

: >
: >>How do I edit or view files?
: >
: >The simplest editor installed on your system is most likely "pico".
: >---
: >Roy Stogner
:
:
:
:

________________________________

Todd Ostermeier

http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ostermer/index.html
ICQ UIN: 2253928
A-723
________________________________

1. Need Suggestions for Content Editing Platform, DBMS, and Tools

|> I need to find a solution to a problem, but I don't know where to
|> start looking.  I'm hoping I can get some ideas from this newsgroup.
|>
|> I need to set up a "content editing platform" that will be used by
|> *non*technical people to generate, manipulate, store, archive, and
|> search a large amount of text, graphics, and other multimedia content
|> for a web site.  Here are some requirements:
|>
|>   1) ability to run one or more web page generation software
|>      packages (e.g. Vermeer) that allow the user to see the
|>      formatted page in a non-production environment
|>
|>   2) ability to run browser to verify hotlinks and check
|>      appearance of page
|>
|>   3) ability to be linked to a database system that allows
|>      content storage and manipulation with easy to use front
|>      end tools
|>
|>   4) easy to set up, administer, and maintain
|>
|>   5) easy to use by people not familiar with UNIX
|>
|>   6) ability for platform and tools to be accessed and used
|>      from PCs running Win95.
|>
|>   7) ability to be accessed remotely by telecommuters who need
|>      the same functionality as local users
|>
|> Since my background is in UNIX/C programming, my inclination is to
|> head towards a Sun Sparc machine, running Solaris, and an Oracle
|> database with some nice tools.  But I'm not sure how well all of
|> this would meet the above requirements and if it could/would be
|> used by people familiar only with the PC/Windows environment.
|>
|> If you have any ideas on possible solutions, please let me know.

|> me a copy if you post a reply here.  I'll post a summary of responses
|> if requested.
|>
|> a T d H v A a N n K c S e
|>
|> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|> Scott D. Brenner                  AT&T Consumer Communications Services

|> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use both Sun and HP machines.  SW is available for all of your needs
for both platforms (much of it free).  The HP running the VUE interface
(standard) I think is far simpler for novices.

Tom Sanders

2. YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound...

3. Strange vi-editing behaviour in editing XF86Config

4. Telnet wait & wait & wait &....

5. Help about the diff btw MIME's Content-ID and Content-Location header

6. New RH8.0 installation - activating MySQL in php

7. Apache: Content Negotiation (Content-Language)

8. Compiling C Programs

9. shell scripting: echoing contents of contents of variable

10. Editing a bitmap

11. Need to edit .bashrc

12. HOW TO EDIT IRC BOT ???

13. trouble editing bash command line in xterm