remote printing

Post by F. B. Quin » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm running a linux network in my Pedi-ENT clinic and can't get remote
printing
set up properly.  (It works fine in my *-ENT clinic!)  I've created
the spool
directory in the client and /etc/hosts.lpd in the printer server, and
opened the
permissions wide.  I've lpc enabled and lpc started the remote printer,
but
I keep getting the message "waiting for <remote machine> to enable
queuing"
on the client.  I'm baffled 'cuz I've set up remote printing elsewhere
and can't
figure what I'm doing wrong.  Will appreciate suggestions.
F.B.Quinn,Jr., M.D.  Univ.Tx.Med.Branch  Galveston, TX

remote printing

Post by Alexander Smondyre » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I'm running a linux network in my Pedi-ENT clinic and can't get remote
> printing
> set up properly.  (It works fine in my *-ENT clinic!)  I've created
> the spool
> directory in the client and /etc/hosts.lpd in the printer server, and
> opened the
> permissions wide.  I've lpc enabled and lpc started the remote printer,
> but
> I keep getting the message "waiting for <remote machine> to enable
> queuing"
> on the client.  I'm baffled 'cuz I've set up remote printing elsewhere
> and can't
> figure what I'm doing wrong.  Will appreciate suggestions.
> F.B.Quinn,Jr., M.D.  Univ.Tx.Med.Branch  Galveston, TX

HI,
I am having similar problems with remote printing. I have
two almost identical Linux boxes and HP LaseJet 6MP printer.
If you happened to fix your problem, please, let me know
what was going on.
With best regards, Alex.

1. problems with remote printing under AIX 3.2 (and other remote access problems)

I just installed AIX 3.32 on my R6000/320 and though the install went
smoothly, the R6000 no longer allows remote (tcp/ip) access to the printer.  I
did a "complete overwrite install" and then went through and
configured the network and the remote printer access, and have
rebooted several times, stopped started lpd, etc., but I always get
the message: "your host does not have line printer access" back from
the R6000.  Printing works OK from the R6000, and interestingly, the
"on" command" works from the remote host and I can type "on ___ lpr "
and the R6000 does print then.  I tried both fully qualified and just
the hostname in the /etc/hosts.lpd file.  I am trying to print from a
Sun running 4.1.1 as well as other hosts that use BSD style printer
addressing.  Before the upgrade, remote printing worked fine.

Another strange (related?) feature is that when I type "rsh" from the
remote host I get "Login incorrect." whereas rsh used to work.  It
sounds to me like the network authentication has been messed with.
One last (related?)  problem is that I can't get the R6000 to act as a
pcnfs server (after taking the comment out of /etc/inetd.conf) whereas
it used to work as a pcnfs server before.

  Any ideas?

  Ron Cohen
  Geophysical Laboratory
  Carnegie Institution of Washington

2. PATCH: fix ibmtr mapping bug

3. Remote Printing w/o Remote Machine - How do I do it?

4. [TRIVIAL] Consolidate sys_pause

5. Remote Printing w/o Remote Machine

6. Rather Strange NIS+ behaviour

7. Remote printing to remote unix printer problem with cpi= option

8. Unix Project leader required for UK ISP

9. RS/6000 remote printing to numeric remote queue

10. Remote printing problem: waiting for remote system to come up

11. Howto send print jobs to a remote print server (SMC Barricade)

12. remote printing - print filters never being called?

13. Remote Printing and Print Filters