Help with USR Sportster setup

Post by Ramesh Tipirnen » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I have just installed Redhat Linux 5 of the CD. No problems during install.
I now have a dual boot with Win95 and Linux. The modem does not work in
Linux. As far as I know USR 56k Sportster I have is NOT a WinModem. Modem is
setup for com2/irq3.

a 'cat /proc/interrupts' shows irq 3 unused(i.e not listed).  Also
'setserial -a /dev/ttyS1' shows UART as unknown type. Set line /dev/ttyS1 in
Kermit returns with "Unable to open device ttyS1"
Have poured over the Serial-HOWTO and now at a dead end...
Help

Ramesh

Help with USR Sportster setup

Post by Ted Troccol » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have the USR X2 56K Sportster Voice faxmodem as well.

Give me some flexibility here.. the Win95 reference is relative.

Since I never got the PNP to work in Windows and I had a PS/2
mouse, I have messed with almost every combination on Win95
and finally went with COM1 (with adapter) for the mouse and
COM2 for the modem.

Chances are your COM2 and COM4 use the same IRQ (3)
and COM1 and COM3 use the same IRQ (4).  You will have
problems using COM1 and COM3 together... and COM2 and COM4
together, because of the IRQ conflicts.

Right now, my modem and mouse work fine with that setup.
COM1 for mouse, COM2 for modem.

Good luck,
Ted

> Hello,

> I have just installed Redhat Linux 5 of the CD. No problems during install.
> I now have a dual boot with Win95 and Linux. The modem does not work in
> Linux. As far as I know USR 56k Sportster I have is NOT a WinModem. Modem is
> setup for com2/irq3.
> a 'cat /proc/interrupts' shows irq 3 unused(i.e not listed).  Also
> 'setserial -a /dev/ttyS1' shows UART as unknown type. Set line /dev/ttyS1 in
> Kermit returns with "Unable to open device ttyS1"
> Have poured over the Serial-HOWTO and now at a dead end...
> Help

> Ramesh

1. Help: USR Sportster setup

I have a box with Windows on one hard drive and Linux on the other. It
has a Sportster 33.6 Internal Faxmodem.  When I'm running Windows, it
finds the serial mouse on COM1 and the modem on COM2. They both work
fine.

I have RedHat Linux 5.1. During the install it told me that it found a
serial mouse on cua1 (COM2). I accepted it and the mouse works fine in
X. Even though it's plugged into COM1. However, I can't figure out how
to get my modem working. I've tried cua0, cua1, cua2 and cua3. When I
try cua1, it looks up the mouse (of course).

Does anyone have any ideas about why Linux thinks my mouse is on cua1
instead of cua0? And how can I get my modem connected to the correct COM
port.
Thanks.
---
Dan

2. signal, trap, possibly

3. USR Sportster 28.8 PNP Setup problem. Please help!

4. Will this Rockwell modem work under Linux?

5. Problem with USR Sportster 36.6 setup, funny connect for in coming calls

6. Disk Geometry Problem

7. PPP & USR Sportster ISDN setup

8. how to monitor a specific file ?

9. USR sportster setup

10. mgetty fax receive setup for USR Sportster Vi

11. USR Sportster X2 Winmodem setup

12. How to setup USR Sportster 28.8?

13. isapnp can't detect USR sportster - please help