Problems ! RH51 and 2.0.35-2 -- module & sound problems

Problems ! RH51 and 2.0.35-2 -- module & sound problems

Post by Gerald Gutierr » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi all.

I just installed RH51 and upgraded to the 2.0.35-2 kernel. I discovered
two problems after doing this ( although could be unrelated .. I don't
know ) :

- SOUND doesn't work. Doing a make modules_install, it says that
sound_syms.o can't be found. Looking in /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound, I
see that sound_syms.c isn't even compiled, even though I have specified
in the menuconfig that I wanted SB16 compatible sound, /dev/audio, MIDI,
etc .. compiled as a module.

- MODULES are kind of messed. Some modules don't autoload even though
kerneld is running and depmod -a has been run. depmod -a, when run, gives
me massive "unresolved symbol(s)" for many ( all? ) of my .o files in the
modules directory.

Ideas ?

Problems ! RH51 and 2.0.35-2 -- module & sound problems

Post by Marc Ledauphi » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

before compiling, try make mr_proper, and before before all, re link some
directories :
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
and
ln -s /usr/src/linux/inlude/asm /usr/include/asm

re-run make config, make xconfig or make menuconfig
make dep; make clean
make zlilo; make modules;make modules_install
reboot

Quote:

>Hi all.

>I just installed RH51 and upgraded to the 2.0.35-2 kernel. I discovered
>two problems after doing this ( although could be unrelated .. I don't
>know ) :

>- SOUND doesn't work. Doing a make modules_install, it says that
>sound_syms.o can't be found. Looking in /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound, I
>see that sound_syms.c isn't even compiled, even though I have specified
>in the menuconfig that I wanted SB16 compatible sound, /dev/audio, MIDI,
>etc .. compiled as a module.

>- MODULES are kind of messed. Some modules don't autoload even though
>kerneld is running and depmod -a has been run. depmod -a, when run, gives
>me massive "unresolved symbol(s)" for many ( all? ) of my .o files in the
>modules directory.

>Ideas ?

Problems ! RH51 and 2.0.35-2 -- module & sound problems

Post by Gerald Gutierr » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: before compiling, try make mr_proper, and before before all, re link some
: directories :
: ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
: and
: ln -s /usr/src/linux/inlude/asm /usr/include/asm

Yes. Unfortunately that's what I've done ... about 10 times.

Post by Ga » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>before compiling, try make mr_proper, and before before all, re link some
>directories :
>ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
>and
>ln -s /usr/src/linux/inlude/asm /usr/include/asm

>re-run make config, make xconfig or make menuconfig
>make dep; make clean
>make zlilo; make modules;make modules_install
>reboot

>>I just installed RH51 and upgraded to the 2.0.35-2 kernel. I discovered
>>two problems after doing this ( although could be unrelated .. I don't
>>know ) :

>>- SOUND doesn't work. Doing a make modules_install, it says that
>>sound_syms.o can't be found. Looking in /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound, I
>>see that sound_syms.c isn't even compiled, even though I have specified
>>in the menuconfig that I wanted SB16 compatible sound, /dev/audio, MIDI,
>>etc .. compiled as a module.

I had the same problem trying to setup my SB16 pnp card on my PC. I'm
also running RH5.1 with the 2.0.35-2 kernel upgrade.

When I tried to build the modules, one of the error message I got was:
   sound_syms.c: In function `export_sound_symbols':
   sound_syms.c:104: warning: implicit declaration of function
   `export_uart401_syms'

Subsequently sound_syms.c was not compiled.

I've tried reinstalling the kernel sources, tried the steps suggested
above, but still got the same result.

In the end, I bypassed the problem by compiling sound support into the
kernel itself, and not as a module. The card seems to be working now.

- Gan

1. Mkinitrd problem after 2.0.35 -2 upgrade

Am new to the world of Linux and loving it. Been running Redhat 5.1
for a couple of months and have had no problem finding answers to any
questions I've had. Am running AfterStep and KDE and surfing with
Netscape 4.05 and rrclientd.
  Recently upgraded the kernel to 2.0.35-2 from redhat ftp and
gang-rpmed the files as stated. Installed fine. When I went to make the
the new initrd " mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.0.35-2.img 2.0.35-2" I get
"All your loopback devices are in use". Ive looked everywhere for
resolve but am getting a little squinty and humble. Haven't changed the
lilo.conf or rebooted yet lest squander my good fortune. All else seems
to be fine.
   Am running full install RH5.1 on dedicated 4.3WD UMDA, 64 megs,
AMD233, Matrox Millenium, tulip class ethernet on RoadRunner cable
modem, no printer, Ultrasound PnP Pro w/OSS commercial, and Iomega zip
drive.
   Any leads or answers greatly appreciated in advance. Fearing I am
becoming a severe addict to Linux. Haven't had this much fun at the
'puter since I spilled coke in the monitor. Amazing how Windows made me
forget that the brain is a vital organ.  Thanx

2. error kpackage: file notfound: /root %u

3. Problem adding DSO module to Apache 2.0.35 on 64 bit Solaris 8 2/02

4. NIS Automount Failure

5. 2.0.35 & 3c507 module

6. FTP help

7. Crystal 423* sound driver problem with 2.0.35

8. passwd under Solaris 2.3

9. Sound Blaster 16 problem with Slackware Linux 2.0.35

10. Problems with Kernels 2.0.34/2.0.35 and sound

11. 2.0.35 & 3c507 module

12. Header file problem w/ 2.0.35 & glibc 2.0.6?

13. Pbl with modules under kernel 2.4.2-2