two-sided printing

Post by alh » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have a HP 5Si  on a win95 box in my office network and can print to it
from my linux box without incedent, except when I want to print
double-sided(mostly from netscape4.5).
I would like to know how to get lpr or the print_filter to send PCL
commands for duplexing....although I do have the code to send to the
printer I have no way to send it.

any ideas would be welcome
alh

two-sided printing

Post by Les Richardso » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I have a HP 5Si  on a win95 box in my office network and can print to it
> from my linux box without incedent, except when I want to print
> double-sided(mostly from netscape4.5).
> I would like to know how to get lpr or the print_filter to send PCL
> commands for duplexing....although I do have the code to send to the
> printer I have no way to send it.

> any ideas would be welcome
> alh

  I remember reading about this in the LPRng docs at www.astart.com   There
is also some material in the docs that come with the CTI filters on their
ftp site.

Les Richardson
H. Hardcastle School
Edam, Sk. Canada

two-sided printing

Post by Michael Or » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I have a HP 5Si  on a win95 box in my office network and can print to it
> from my linux box without incedent, except when I want to print
> double-sided(mostly from netscape4.5).
> I would like to know how to get lpr or the print_filter to send PCL
> commands for duplexing....although I do have the code to send to the
> printer I have no way to send it.

> any ideas would be welcome
> alh

The way I have handled the same problem is to create a script in the
spool directory for the printer (Which is defined in the printcap
file).   Add the filter to the 'if' part of printcap; it stands for
'input filter.'  The following is a variation of mine:

#!/bin/sh
echo -ne \\033\&l1S > /tmp/lpr.$$
cat >> /tmp/lpr.$$
echo -ne \\033E >> /tmp/lpr.$$
cat /tmp/lpr.$$
rm /tmp/lpr.$$

That, or something close to that, should work.
--

F. Michael Orr
Sr. Systems Engineer

two-sided printing

Post by N » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I have a HP 5Si  on a win95 box in my office network and can print to it
> from my linux box without incedent, except when I want to print
> double-sided(mostly from netscape4.5).
> I would like to know how to get lpr or the print_filter to send PCL
> commands for duplexing....although I do have the code to send to the
> printer I have no way to send it.

> any ideas would be welcome
> alh

  ALH,
Are you connecting to the WIN95 machine via the smbprint script?  If so,
the duplexing feature  should be controlled by the WIN95 machine.  I have a
HP 4000 with a duplexer and it works just fine.  I've even printed PDF
documents with it.  You didn't mention which version of Linux you had
(Slackware, redHat, etc.,)  Lanmanager printing under RedHat 5.x is REALLy
simple.  If you're not running at least RedHat 4.1, the you should still be
able to use the smbprint script as your input filter.

Chris Deam