RH 7.3 - /boot mismounted

RH 7.3 - /boot mismounted

Post by Luri » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 03:12:35



Hello after installation my system came with a /boot partition mounted
but not used.

I mean: during installation i edited partitions and specified mount
points:
/dev/hda2       very small (45MB)       /boot
/dev/hda5       much bigger (1.5GB)     / (root) .
/dev/hda6       (700MB)                 /home

Then at the first system boot I found instead:
/dev/hda5       mounted as / (root) containing a /boot subdir with all
the usual boot stuff inside
/dev/hda2       mounted as /boot but nearly empty (just kernel.h and
lost+found in it).
As you understand when the latter is mounted it hides the real /boot
containts, which become invisible.

I explain it from the command line
<boot the system and login as root>
#ls /boot       -> lost+found        kernel.h
#umount /boot
#ls /boot       -> "usual boot files" (many more)

Why did the penguin come out like this after install?
How can the system boot up OK?
What should check to understand this?
(In fact lilo.conf is pointing to /dev/hda5, I did not change it yet)

What can I do to "repair" this?
Is the following procedure Ok and enough?
#umount /boot                           (make boot files visible)
#mount -t ext3 /dev/hda2 /mnt/boot      (temp: chg mountpoint)
#cp /boot/* /mnt/boot                   (copy boot containts)
#vi lilo.conf (and change boot=/dev/hda2)       (make lilo aware)
#/sbin/lilo
#shutdown -r now                        (reboot)
<should this make the system boot from /dev/hda2?>
<login as root again and check everything's ok>
#mount                                  (check mounted fs's)
#umount /boot                           (make old boot info visible)
#rm -r /boot/*                  (remove them from wrong partition)
#mount /boot                    (remount the right /boot partition)

NB. things are perhaps complicated by my limited knowledge of LABEL=
lines in /etc/fstab. How does the system know that LABEL=/boot1
"means" /dev/hda2? Could you please redirect me to good docs?

Thank you very much

Lurix
___________________________________________
remove "nospam" for my valid email address:

 
 
 

RH 7.3 - /boot mismounted

Post by Yuan Li » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:10:13



> Hello after installation my system came with a /boot partition mounted
> but not used.

> I mean: during installation i edited partitions and specified mount
> points:
> /dev/hda2  very small (45MB)       /boot
> /dev/hda5  much bigger (1.5GB)     / (root) .
> /dev/hda6  (700MB)                 /home

> Then at the first system boot I found instead:
> /dev/hda5  mounted as / (root) containing a /boot subdir with all
> the usual boot stuff inside
> /dev/hda2  mounted as /boot but nearly empty (just kernel.h and
> lost+found in it).
> As you understand when the latter is mounted it hides the real /boot
> containts, which become invisible.

> I explain it from the command line
> <boot the system and login as root>
> #ls /boot  -> lost+found        kernel.h
> #umount /boot
> #ls /boot  -> "usual boot files" (many more)

Most likely you didn't follow the "normal" install procedures.  What you
are seeing here is that the system doesn't use /boot partition, but used
the /boot directory under / to do the booting; nevertheless, /etc/fstab
points to your /dev/hda2 and mounted it to /boot AFTER booting up.

Quote:> Why did the penguin come out like this after install?
> How can the system boot up OK?
> What should check to understand this?
> (In fact lilo.conf is pointing to /dev/hda5, I did not change it yet)

This is exactly what happened: LILO boots from /, even though it looks
for kernel under /boot directory.  This is not the way RH prefers to
install itself, though perfectly OK.

Quote:> What can I do to "repair" this?
> Is the following procedure Ok and enough?
> #umount /boot                              (make boot files visible)
> #mount -t ext3 /dev/hda2 /mnt/boot (temp: chg mountpoint)
> #cp /boot/* /mnt/boot                      (copy boot containts)

cp -r instead of cp

Quote:> #vi lilo.conf (and change boot=/dev/hda2)  (make lilo aware)
> #/sbin/lilo
> #shutdown -r now                   (reboot)
> <should this make the system boot from /dev/hda2?>

It should.

- Show quoted text -

> <login as root again and check everything's ok>
> #mount                                     (check mounted fs's)
> #umount /boot                              (make old boot info visible)
> #rm -r /boot/*                     (remove them from wrong partition)
> #mount /boot                       (remount the right /boot partition)

> NB. things are perhaps complicated by my limited knowledge of LABEL=
> lines in /etc/fstab. How does the system know that LABEL=/boot1
> "means" /dev/hda2? Could you please redirect me to good docs?

> Thank you very much

> Lurix
> ___________________________________________
> remove "nospam" for my valid email address:



 
 
 

1. Need help making dual boot RH 7.3/RH 8.0 drive

Really need some help with this.  Tried looking up information at
Redhat's site, but something's hosed.

I want to make a dual-boot RedHat Drive.  One partition to contain
RedHat 7.3, one to contain RedHat 8.0.

I've got a 40GB hard drive, partitioned as follows:

RH 7.3 Installed First:
    hda1     256MB   /boot
    hda2    8192MB   /
    hda3     512MB   swap

RH 8.0 Installed Second:
    hda4     256MB   /boot
    hda5    8192MB   /
    hda6   20000+MB  /common

Both OS's install, but after RH8 is done installing, I can't get
access to the 7.3 partition.

Lacking any clear-cut instructions on how to do this, I am at a loss.

Using GRUB boot loader for both partitions.

Can someone please help me figure out what I need to do to make this
work?
Thanks.

2. Sony CDU-33a

3. tr0 won't activate on boot after RH 7.3 fresh install

4. Looking for a free unix shell [research purpose only]

5. Dual Boot Win XP and RH Linux 7.3

6. Newbie setup questions

7. rh 7.3 graphical boot display is corrupt

8. SunCluster/Zone hostname resolution broken?

9. Trying to Dual Boot with NT loader - fails on RH 7.3

10. RH 7.3 will only boot w/floppy - help the newbie

11. NEWBIE: Changing boot loader on RH 7.3

12. Dual Boot with Win ME and RH 7.3

13. RH 7.3 boots to console and uses XP Machine name