FTP problem

Post by hyi » Mon, 08 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Dear linuxers,

We are running linux 1.2.13 on Pentiums. We have a difficulty to setup
ftp. FTP won't accept incoming connection. The error message is like
this:

220 vela FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) Tue Aug 8 15:50:43 CDT 1995) ready.
Name (vela:hyi): root
530 User root access denied...
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

we also checked that /etc/shutmsg doesn't exist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heling

FTP problem

Post by Torsten Schweiger » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> 220 vela FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) Tue Aug 8 15:50:43 CDT 1995) ready.
> Name (vela:hyi): root
> 530 User root access denied...
> Login failed.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.

Look at /etc/ftpusers, which says:

#
# ftpusers      This file describes the names of the users that may
#    _*NOT*_ log into the system via the FTP server.
#               This usually includes "root", "uucp", "news" and the
#               like, because those users have too much power to be
#               allowed to do "just" FTP...
#

#

#
# The entire line gets matched, so no comments or extra characters on
# lines containing a username.
#
root
uucp
news

# End of ftpusers.

Maybee this solves xour problem.

Hope this helps -- Torsten

FTP problem

Post by Lorenzo Di Gregori » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> We are running linux 1.2.13 on Pentiums. We have a difficulty to setup
> ftp. FTP won't accept incoming connection. The error message is like
> this:

> 220 vela FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) Tue Aug 8 15:50:43 CDT 1995) ready.
> Name (vela:hyi): root
> 530 User root access denied...
> Login failed.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.

> we also checked that /etc/shutmsg doesn't exist.

I have an FTP server Version wu-2.4(4), but I think it works in the same
way.  I find quite strange that after "Login failed." it prompts "Remote
system [blahblahblah]".

Anyway, root can't do FTP because there is a file named /etc/ftpusers which
contains a list of the users that can't do FTP, and the comment says that
root has already too much power, for doing just ftp ;-)

If you experience a such problem with other accounts, or with anonymous:

1. Check that your ftp server is compatible with "shadow password" ot that
   you don't have "shadow password".

2. Check that /etc/ftpusers hasn't those users.
3. Check /etc/ftpaccess: "man ftpaccess" describes how to configure it:
   pay attention to "class" and "real users".

Good luck !
--

1. FTP problem using TIS ftp-gw

Hi,

I have a very strange problem, that I'd like some input on. We have
built a firewall looking like this:

                                THE INTERNET

                                  |\ |
                                  | \|

            +-----+   +-----+   +-------+
            | Sun |   | VAX |   | Cisco |
            +-----+   +-----+   +-------+
               |         |          |

   +-----------+
   | Wellfleet |
   +-----------+

  -------------------

           +-------+
           | Alpha |
           +-------+

The Sun is the proxy-gateway with TIS fwtk installed. Now, what we want
to do is to FTP large (1.6Gb max) amounts of data from the Alpha to the
VAX, via the Sun using ftp-gw as proxy server.

What happens is that when we do it this way, 50 Mb takes about an hour,
instead of taking a couple of minutes, which would be normal.

When we FTP from the Alpha to the Sun (direct FTP, no ftp-gw involved),
the transfer rate is normal. If we FTP from the Sun to the VAX is also
normal. And the most astonishing thing is that if we FTP from the Alpha
via the Sun (now using ftp-gw) back to the Alpha (twice through the
Wellfleet) the transfer rate is also normal.

I've checked the traffic with an analyzer, and it looks quite alright.
I've tried fooling around with the MTU size, to get all packets to be
the same size, but still no success.

It seems that ftp-gw upsets the TCP kernel in the Sun (running SunOS 4.1.4)
in some strange way.

I'd very much appreciate some suggestions on this one, especially from
the TIS guys, if you read this.

Thanks,
Peter

2. What do I write in the printer share name?

3. FTP problem about using Win95 ftp

4. apache's mod_jk's JkMount directive

5. Linux FTP problem -- A VERY ODD problem

6. Newsgroup Software

7. MEMORY Problems/FTP problems

8. Red Hat 6 on Tyan Thunder 100 motherboard

9. FTP problems - possible ipfwadm problem?

10. Talk problem and ftp problem with my Linux(2.0.33)

11. Linux FTP problem -- A VERY ODD problem

12. Firewall+FTP Problems HELP!!!

13. Ftp problems with Netscape from unix server