Contura Aero and 20M RAM

Post by Dmitry Golovat » Thu, 07 Nov 1996 04:00:00

By reading the FAQ for Linux on Compaq Contura Aero I have found that I
can make my Aero see all 20 Megs of the installed RAM by adding
"mem=20416k". I have tried to pass this line to the kernel by putting
'append = "mem=20416k"' into lilo.conf. The kernel can see the memory
now, but the machine became
extermely unstable, crashing at every opportunity (e.g when I plug in a
modem card). (Even when the machine can see only 16 M it seem to work
slower than before, when it had only 8 M memory). I use the latest ROM
(SP1992) and the latest stable kernel (2.0.24). I was hoping that
somebody who has had a similar problem might have some suggestions as to
what I can do to fix it. I would appreciate any help.

Dmitry

Contura Aero and 20M RAM

Post by John Winter » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> By reading the FAQ for Linux on Compaq Contura Aero I have found that I
> can make my Aero see all 20 Megs of the installed RAM by adding
> "mem=20416k". I have tried to pass this line to the kernel by putting
> 'append = "mem=20416k"' into lilo.conf. The kernel can see the memory
> now, but the machine became
> extermely unstable, crashing at every opportunity (e.g when I plug in a
> modem card). (Even when the machine can see only 16 M it seem to work
> slower than before, when it had only 8 M memory). I use the latest ROM
> (SP1992) and the latest stable kernel (2.0.24). I was hoping that
> somebody who has had a similar problem might have some suggestions as to
> what I can do to fix it. I would appreciate any help.

Somewhere in the READMEs (I'm sorry, I can't remember exactly where) there
is a good explanation from Linus about the dangers in this area.  Linux
believes *exactly* what you tell it, and if what you've told it isn't
quite right - thud.  Try reducing the memory count slightly (you can do
this at the boot prompt rather than repeatedly editing lilo.conf) and
see if that helps.  You can't be certain without some exact documentation
on how your system maps its memory.

John

1. Linux on Compaq Contura Aero 486SX/25 8MB 170MB

Dear Linux Experts,

I would like to buy a Compaq Contura Aero 486SX/25 with 8MB ram and
170MB harddisk but first I want to make sure if Linux is running
on it. Therefore I have a few questions:

1. Are you running Linux on this machine?
2. Do you know if it is possible to run Linux on this machine?
3. Are you running Linux on another sub-notebook?
4. Do you know other sub-notebooks that are able to run Linux?

If you know the answer to one or more of the questions above,
please let me know?

Thanx,

Dirk.

2. Missing libXt.so.6?

3. Compaq Contura Aero

4. ARGH.. DNS MX list points back to..

5. Compaq Contura Aero and PLIP

6. Help with mgetty setting up dialup server (mostly got it)

7. Caldera/RedHat on Contura Aero

8. Aureal Vortex plays CDs but not wavs

9. mem >16M on Contura Aero

10. Linux on Compaq Contura Aero

11. Contura Aero floppy woes

12. Has enyone had problems whit Linux on a Compaq Contura AERO 2/33C?

13. Trackball of Contura Aero & selection