"Invalid partition table" error message

Post by Min Kua » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, guys/gals:

I think I've a problem in my hand - I received a "Invalid partition table"
error message after I installed and rebotted my machine. I hope someone can
help me (pls...).   :)

Here the configurations of my machine:
---------------------------------------
    - 2 hard drives: 30G and 6G hard drives
    - I partitioned my 30G into 3 partitions when I installed Win2K in it.
The partition with Win2K is NTFS, and the rest of the two (~10G each) are
unformatted.
    - 128Mb RAM

Here's how I did my CLOS installation:
    - Rebooted from boot disk provided with CLOS Deluxe.
    - It took me to the screen where it asked if it should "Take over the
disk (something like that)", or "Editing partition table (something like
that)". The install in free disk feature was not highlight (don't know why).
So, I decided to choose the edit partition table radio button.
    - Under "hda" director (indicating ~>29000Mb, assumed it was my 30G hd),
I create a root partition (allocating 2000Mb to it), and a sway partition
(allocating 128Mb to it).
    - Then, click next, and checked "check for bad sector", and click next
to install.
    - It was showing messages likes: partitioning, installing base system,
and installing packages.. as a progress bar moved on.
    - After the installation, I had to click a button to reboot the system.
    - When it rebooted, I got the error message.    :(

Please... somone helps me.     :)

Min.

Post by Eric » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:07:14

> Hi, guys/gals:

> I think I've a problem in my hand - I received a "Invalid partition table"
> error message after I installed and rebotted my machine. I hope someone can
> help me (pls...).   :)

I'll try

Quote:> Here the configurations of my machine:
> ---------------------------------------
>     - 2 hard drives: 30G and 6G hard drives
>     - I partitioned my 30G into 3 partitions when I installed Win2K in it.
> The partition with Win2K is NTFS, and the rest of the two (~10G each) are
> unformatted.
>     - 128Mb RAM

> Here's how I did my CLOS installation:
>     - Rebooted from boot disk provided with CLOS Deluxe.
>     - It took me to the screen where it asked if it should "Take over the
> disk (something like that)", or "Editing partition table (something like
> that)". The install in free disk feature was not highlight (don't know why).

Because there's no *free* space, you partitioned it all.

Quote:> So, I decided to choose the edit partition table radio button.

Okay

Quote:>     - Under "hda" director (indicating ~>29000Mb, assumed it was my 30G hd),
> I create a root partition (allocating 2000Mb to it), and a sway partition
> (allocating 128Mb to it).

Sure hope for you, that you left hda1 alone, or else NT is probably gone

Quote:>     - Then, click next, and checked "check for bad sector", and click next
> to install.
>     - It was showing messages likes: partitioning, installing base system,
> and installing packages.. as a progress bar moved on.
>     - After the installation, I had to click a button to reboot the system.
>     - When it rebooted, I got the error message.    :(

I hope that LILO was installed, but I don't know corel. If that's true,
use a bootflop to boot your linux system, and run `/sbin/lilo -u` to
restore the old MBR.
Then reboot, and all should be well again (except you cannot boot linux,
and have to reinstall it)
Quote:

> Please... somone helps me.     :)

> Min.

"Invalid partition table" error message

Post by Min Kua » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, Eric:

Thxs for the help. I really appreciated it.

Guess what? I got fed up and decided to reinstall Win2K, and this time, I
partitioned my 30G drive into (approximate size):
    - 1 x 10G
    - 1 x 9G
    - 2 x  5.5G

Installed Win2K in the 10G partition. Booted up using Linux boot disk. It
asked me if I wanted to install it in DOS/Window partitions. (I was shown
the 1 x 9G, and two 5.5G partitions to choose from). I chose to install in
one of the 5.5G partition. Installation completed, and reboot machine w/o
boot disk.

Guess what? I didn't show me the dual-boot menu option window, and went
straight to booting up Win2K. What happened?

Min.

> > Hi, guys/gals:

> > I think I've a problem in my hand - I received a "Invalid partition
table"
> > error message after I installed and rebotted my machine. I hope someone
can
> > help me (pls...).   :)

> I'll try

> > Here the configurations of my machine:
> > ---------------------------------------
> >     - 2 hard drives: 30G and 6G hard drives
> >     - I partitioned my 30G into 3 partitions when I installed Win2K in
it.
> > The partition with Win2K is NTFS, and the rest of the two (~10G each)
are
> > unformatted.
> >     - 128Mb RAM

> > Here's how I did my CLOS installation:
> >     - Rebooted from boot disk provided with CLOS Deluxe.
> >     - It took me to the screen where it asked if it should "Take over
the
> > disk (something like that)", or "Editing partition table (something like
> > that)". The install in free disk feature was not highlight (don't know
why).

> Because there's no *free* space, you partitioned it all.

> > So, I decided to choose the edit partition table radio button.

> Okay

> >     - Under "hda" director (indicating ~>29000Mb, assumed it was my 30G
hd),
> > I create a root partition (allocating 2000Mb to it), and a sway
partition
> > (allocating 128Mb to it).

> Sure hope for you, that you left hda1 alone, or else NT is probably gone

> >     - Then, click next, and checked "check for bad sector", and click
next
> > to install.
> >     - It was showing messages likes: partitioning, installing base
system,
> > and installing packages.. as a progress bar moved on.
> >     - After the installation, I had to click a button to reboot the
system.
> >     - When it rebooted, I got the error message.    :(

> I hope that LILO was installed, but I don't know corel. If that's true,
> use a bootflop to boot your linux system, and run `/sbin/lilo -u` to
> restore the old MBR.
> Then reboot, and all should be well again (except you cannot boot linux,
> and have to reinstall it)

> > Please... somone helps me.     :)

> > Min.

1. Fips on Windows95 machine ("Partition table corrupt" error message)

I'm attempting to run fips.exe on a windows95 machine and I get the
following error message:

        Partition table corrupt - end: partition 1

        The end sector (head/cylinder/sector) does not match
        the absolute start sector + the number of sectors.

There is only one partition. The partition attributes are:

    |        |    Start      |      |     End       |Start |Number of|
Part|bootable|Head Cyl Sector|System|Head Cyl Sector|Sector| Sectors |
MB
----+--------+---------------+------+---------------+------+---------+---
1   |    yes |   1   0      1|   06h|  31 824     63|    63|
1665153|813

I have run scandisk and defrag. I have created the boot-able floppy with
the fips utilities (fips.exe, restorerb.exe, & errors.txt) on the
floppy. I booted from the  floppy. I have checked the Linux FAQ web
pages. I have check the Linux HOWTO web pages. Can you offer any
suggestions?

--
Bruce Sudweeks

2. PS/1 drive not being recognized for setup

3. LILO complains "Invalid partition table"

4. Problems with iwconfig and I-Gate 11M card

5. Help Me: Dos "Invalid partition table" errot

6. Want some Help ==> "RLM Init Failed:":nlslib_no_svrs_fnd

7. new filesystem problems: "fdisk: can't write fdisk partition table: Invalid argument"

8. Where is burncd

9. LILO says "Invalid partition table"

10. What to do about "invalid partition table"?

11. "Invalid Partition Table" after dd command

12. RedHat 7.2: "Invalid partition table"

13. * HELP - "Invalid partition table" after installation of Slackware 3.2