Sound, Real Player, and MP3

Post by Tor Slettne » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

    Michael> I have gotten sound to work on everything, except Real
    Michael> Player, and the various MP3 players, that I have
    Michael> unsuccesfully tried to use.

Can you play other sounds on your system?  For instance, if you have a
Win95 partition mounted, try something like:

    cat /c/win95/media/chord.wav > /dev/dsp

(Of course, substitute /c/win95 with your windows location..)

    Michael> know what Real Player, or the MP3 players use, but the
    Michael> only connection that I can come up with is that the Real
    Michael> Player and the various MP3 players use Midi, and that is
    Michael> why they aren't working.  I used sndconfig

No, the RealPlayer most certainly does not use MIDI.   A MIDI
interface cannot be used to play back a regular sound clip.

    Michael> Does anyone one have the Sound Blaster 16 PnP card, and
    Michael> has gotten Real Player, or any MP3 player to work?  If
    Michael> yes, could you 'cat /dev/sndstat' , and tell me what you
    Michael> came up with, and if you have any midi installed.

Forget about MIDI, that's not your problem.  Did you compile
/dev/audio and /dev/dsp support into your kernel?  Did you use the
right IRQ for your soundcard?  (For some reason, the SB16 IRQ defaults
to 7 in the Linux kernel, while most cards use IRQ 5 - you need to
change this according to your manual).

Here is my /dev/sndstat:

Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Tue Apr 21 01:25:37 PDT 1998 root,
Linux jackpot 2.0.32 #1 Mon Apr 20 02:08:52 PDT 1998 i586 unknown)
Kernel: Linux jackpot 2.0.32 #2 Tue Apr 21 01:28:33 PDT 1998 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5
SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 5 drq 0
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

Sound, Real Player, and MP3

Post by Michael Horowit » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have gotten sound to work on everything, except Real Player, and the
various MP3 players, that I have unsuccesfully tried to use.  I was
exploring this problem, when I looked at was was in /dev/sndstat  :
Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.0.32 #1 Wed Nov 19 00:46:45 EST
1997 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

I noticed that there is nothing installed under Midi devices.  Now,
I don't know what these other programs that have worked use, and I don't

know what Real Player, or the MP3 players use, but the only connection
that I can come up with is that the Real Player and the various MP3
players use Midi, and that is why they aren't working.  I used sndconfig

(under Red Hat 5.0) to configer my soundblaster 16 PnP.  I would think
that since it configured everything else, that it would configure Midi,
but it seems like it didn't.   Does anyone one have the Sound Blaster 16

PnP card, and has gotten Real Player, or any MP3 player to work?  If
yes, could you  'cat /dev/sndstat' , and tell me what you came up with,
and if you have any midi installed.  If you did something extra to get
midi to work, could you tell me what you did.  Any advice would help.
Thanks.

Mike

Sound, Real Player, and MP3

Post by Dan Chi » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>know what Real Player, or the MP3 players use, but the only connection
>that I can come up with is that the Real Player and the various MP3
>players use Midi, and that is why they aren't working.  I used sndconfig

i'm not in linux right now, so i can't answer fully, but i WILL tell you
that you're conclusion is wrong. MP3s and Real Player do NOT use MIDI. MIDI
is a technology for reproducing instrument sounds, and in general, MIDI
songs are incomparable to an actual recording of a song. There are no vocals
in MIDI.
    MP3s and RA, however, are actual encodings of a recorded sound. Thus,
they would use your Sound Blaster 16 wave output.

incidentally, you probably DON'T have a MIDI component. I believe that MIDI
in the context you're using it refers to an MP-401 (?) compatible midi
device. The standard SB16 does not have that feature- rather, you'd be using
OPL/3 synthesis. So yes, MIDI sounds should play, but not at a very high
quality.

Sound, Real Player, and MP3

Post by Michael Horowit » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

was able to cat chord.wav into /dev/dsp, and it worked,and I have been
able to cat au files into /dev/audio, and I have a midiplayer, and that
works, and cd's play fine, the only problem seems to be with Real Player,
and MP3 players, and I don't know how to fix it.

Mike

>     Michael> I have gotten sound to work on everything, except Real
>     Michael> Player, and the various MP3 players, that I have
>     Michael> unsuccesfully tried to use.

> Can you play other sounds on your system?  For instance, if you have a
> Win95 partition mounted, try something like:

>     cat /c/win95/media/chord.wav > /dev/dsp

> (Of course, substitute /c/win95 with your windows location..)

>     Michael> know what Real Player, or the MP3 players use, but the
>     Michael> only connection that I can come up with is that the Real
>     Michael> Player and the various MP3 players use Midi, and that is
>     Michael> why they aren't working.  I used sndconfig

> No, the RealPlayer most certainly does not use MIDI.   A MIDI
> interface cannot be used to play back a regular sound clip.

>     Michael> Does anyone one have the Sound Blaster 16 PnP card, and
>     Michael> has gotten Real Player, or any MP3 player to work?  If
>     Michael> yes, could you 'cat /dev/sndstat' , and tell me what you
>     Michael> came up with, and if you have any midi installed.

> Forget about MIDI, that's not your problem.  Did you compile
> /dev/audio and /dev/dsp support into your kernel?  Did you use the
> right IRQ for your soundcard?  (For some reason, the SB16 IRQ defaults
> to 7 in the Linux kernel, while most cards use IRQ 5 - you need to
> change this according to your manual).

> Here is my /dev/sndstat:

> Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Tue Apr 21 01:25:37 PDT 1998 root,
> Linux jackpot 2.0.32 #1 Mon Apr 20 02:08:52 PDT 1998 i586 unknown)
> Kernel: Linux jackpot 2.0.32 #2 Tue Apr 21 01:28:33 PDT 1998 i586
> Config options: 0

> Installed drivers:
> Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
> Type 2: Sound Blaster
> Type 7: SB MPU-401

> Card config:
> Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5
> SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 5 drq 0
> OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

> Audio devices:
> 0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)

> Synth devices:
> 0: Yamaha OPL-3

> Midi devices:
> 0: Sound Blaster 16

> Timers:
> 0: System clock

> Mixers:
> 0: Sound Blaster

1. Sound, Real Player, and MP3 players

[...]

2. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.shell

3. No real MP3 players for Linux???

4. Admin Wage Question

5. Real Audio and MP3 Player

6. Help install Fvwm-2, make wrong ??

7. MP3 Players & Sounds in general

8. Sound refuses to play after invoking sox.

9. Need mp3 to mpy file converter for RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player

10. MP3 Player 4 MP3 CD's?

11. CD Player and MP3 Player for Solaris 8

12. MP3 Player & VCD Player

13. Real Player 7 -- No sound and poor video