insmod problem

Post by Simo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

OK, I jsut compiled up a driver for my new NIC and when I load it it,  I get
the message that it was compiled for the PRIOR version???

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Simon

insmod problem

Post by Scott Nold » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:25:00

> OK, I jsut compiled up a driver for my new NIC and when I load it it,  I get
> the message that it was compiled for the PRIOR version???

> Any ideas??

> Thanks,

> Simon

Take a look at the source code... in it I'm sure you'll find where the
kernel version is located.
--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde

glaze!                       |
11:20pm up 26 min, 3 users, load average: 1.04, 1.02, 0.82

1. linux tcp/ip stack as a module...insmod problems

Hi,
I am trying to implement the whole tcp/ip  stack (below the INET
socket layer) as a module . Do not confuse this with setting the "m"
option during "make xconfig"....
I am attempting to build a custom stack which i can change at will...

My approach:
I thought of using all the code of the linux stack as a starting
point. I copied all .c files from /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4 to a
separate directory
Then i compiled each file (gcc -D__KERNEL__ -c ...) and got the
coresponding object file. I also wrote a dummy .c file which contained
the init_module and cleanup_module functions. Then i linked all these
object files together.

My Problem:
When i try to insmod the resulting .obj file, i get the error
"couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for".
This happens even if i turn off kernel versioning while building the
kernel.
what could be the problem?

-chinmay

2. Odd code in boot/sys.c