L 10 10 10 10...

Post by Dick Barne » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

help! frustration turning to anger!

installed OpenLinux 1.3 have a Windows NT system with 2 EIDE drives,
4.3G and 5.7G. The latter was unused so I decided to install there just
to avoid any potential problems.  First time things appeared to go
pretty well.  Being new to Linux I read a number of HOW-To docs
including the one on Linux+NT-Loader.  I followed the instructions to
the letter including using the bootpart util to add Linux to the NT menu
and installing LILO on the linux partition rather than the NT MBR, so I
figured I was all set when the install and X-Windows config appeared to
go well and I had Linux up and running pretty quickly.  However, when I
rebooted the system to bring up NT I discovered that one of the
partitions on the first drive, the one with the DOS partitions, had been
completely wiped.  Specifically the logical drive that linux knew as
/dev/hda6 had been emptied, even though I had used fdisk to create linux
native and swap partitions on /dev/hdb1, /dev/hdb3, /dev/hdb4.  NT still
worked, but virtually all of my own applications and files were gone.
    The best was yet to come, however.  When I tried to use the Linux
option off the NT menu I got a message that the ntoskrnl was corrupt.
As I said I was still able to run NT fine.  I quickly discovered that I
could still use the boot/install disk to get linux running and
everything seemed to work fine.  At this point I began to second guess
which of the two linux native partitions I had installed LILO, so I
decided to reinstall linux.  Again everything seemed to go ok, except...

    I still couldn't use the NT menu to get to Linux, so I decided to
delete the linux partitions, and start over.  This is where the big
trouble is...now when I try to boot the system with the boot/install
disk that comes with 1.3 all I get is
L 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10...
using rawrite to create a boot disk has the same effect...and trying to
boot with a Red Hat 4.1 boot.img disk produces something very similar...

LILO
error 0X10

if anybody can help, you'd make a rapidly aging man very happy,
*

L 10 10 10 10...

Post by Neil Kooze » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

Quote:> This is where the big
> trouble is...now when I try to boot the system with the boot/install
> disk that comes with 1.3 all I get is
> L 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10...

L 10 means CRC error, which means read error on the media.  It could be bad
disk or bad drive.

Quote:> using rawrite to create a boot disk has the same effect...and trying to
> boot with a Red Hat 4.1 boot.img disk produces something very similar...

> LILO
> error 0X10

This also means CRC error but in a different place.  Normally you can't use
RAWRITE in NT; you have to use a plain real-mode dos booted on it's own.

Quote:> if anybody can help, you'd make a rapidly aging man very happy,
>*

Well, now that I've made you very happy...
Neil.

p.s.  The missing data from hda6 is one of those "can't happen" things.
Did the install routine make any access to that partition, such as reading
the install data from there?

1. Please help! L 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 10 10 10 10 04 10ILO

Please help!

I sometime get the below message and cannot boot Linux.
Had I done something wrong with LILO?

L 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 10 10 10 10 04 10ILO

Welcome to the LILO Boot Loader!

Please enter the name of the partition you would like to boot
at the promt below. The choices are:

DOS   - DOS (FAT/FAT32 partition)
Linux - Linux (ext2fs partition)

boot:

2. kerneld - kmod - dummy problem

3. 10/100 card won't talk to 10/100 hub

4. Weird Keyboard Problem

5. alpha: rwsem update [10/10]

6. NFS Mounting Problems

7. 10 base T vs pre 10 base T

8. UDP masquerading in 2.2.1

9. Jumpstart solaris 10 b69 and solaris 10 b72 on an Ultra 30

10. 10/10 sound/oss/dmasound/dmasound_q40.c

11. FS: 10/100 4 port switch and 4 10/100 Network Adapters

12. Oracle 10 (RAC) & Solaris 10 & Sun Cluster 3

13. NetBSD, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD FAQ (Part 10 of 10)