LILO Woes

Post by Mike Dupr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm having trouble configuring lilo to boot a in a 2 disk system.
The system has 1 ide and 1 scsi hard drive, each has linux
installed.
I can boot to hda1 with no problem, however when I try to boot
to sda1 (label = old) it boots to /dev/hda1.  The only reason it
succeeds is because of a link of vmlinuz to vmlinuz-2.2.12.20.

My lilo.conf is as follows:
##########################
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=500
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
    label=linux
    read-only
    root=/dev/hda1

image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=old
    read-only
    root=/dev/sda1
########################

Any help is greatly appreciated, I REALLY need to
boot the old system. !!!!

LILO Woes

Post by Garen Erdois » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

1) get rid of the blank lines.  I know they make lilo configuration files
prettier, however some versions of lilo don't like any blanke lines.
2) did you type "old" at the lilo prompt?
3) Default redhat setups typcally have you make a small /boot partition,
this partition can be  used to hold kernel images for each linux system you
want to boot, however each system that uses it needs to be told where to
find the information.
4) since lilo doesn't like to boot to devices that are not recognized by the
BIOS as a valid boot device, then you will probabally need to make such a
small /boot partition on your boot device say /dev/hda5, and place your
kernels there.
Once lilo can find and load a kernel image, then you are set.
5) you may need to modify /etc/fstab, and /etc/mtab  for your old setup.

6) you can get into your old system from the new system using the following,
though it will be running on your current kernel.

Type at the lilo prompt:

linux single
Then once into the system:

su -l root
mkdir /mnt/old
mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt/old
mount -t proc none /mnt/old/proc
chroot /mnt/old su -l root

Otherwise it looks like your lilo.conf is fine for booting up multiple linux
systems.

Quote:> I'm having trouble configuring lilo to boot a in a 2 disk system.
> The system has 1 ide and 1 scsi hard drive, each has linux
> installed.
> I can boot to hda1 with no problem, however when I try to boot
> to sda1 (label = old) it boots to /dev/hda1.  The only reason it
> succeeds is because of a link of vmlinuz to vmlinuz-2.2.12.20.

> My lilo.conf is as follows:
> ##########################
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=500
> default=linux

> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
>     label=linux
>     read-only
>     root=/dev/hda1

> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>     label=old
>     read-only
>     root=/dev/sda1
> ########################

> Any help is greatly appreciated, I REALLY need to
> boot the old system. !!!!

1. LILO woes

Hi,

I have been unsuccessful in using lilo to set up a dual boot NT/Linux
system. After looking through the lilo docs, I am beginning to think that
my /boot is beyond cylinder 1024 or that I am trying to install lilo at
the boot sector of a logical partition. I can boot by floppy only.

How do I figure out how many cylinders my 8GB IDE drive has from BIOS?

Here is my setup:
/dev/hda1 -- DOS (2GB) - primary
/dev/hda5 -- DOS (2GB)
/dev/hda6 -- Linux native: /  (100MB)
/dev/hda7 -- Linux native: /usr  (3.7GB)
/dev/hda8 -- Linux swap  (100MB)

LBA mode is enabled.

I did not make a smaller separate partition for /boot, so it resides on
/dev/hda6. Now I am not sure if it is beyond 1024 cyliders. Also, I
suspect /dev/hda6 is a logical partition, which can't be used to load
lilo. But Lilo did not complain. But then I have been using the linear
mode that seems to supress error messages.

I haven't tried loading lilo into the MBR since I am nervous about
breaking the NT boot process.

BTW, what happened to hda2, hda3, hda4?

Finally, I keep reading about this liloconfig utility on this newsgroup,
but it seems to be missing from my system. Where is it?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ujwal

2. Conflict libstdc++

3. Apache 1.1 and mod_auth_dbm

4. LILO woes - NO SCSI but returns LI...

5. help please - shared libraries

6. LILO woes on old hardware

7. Slurp and news posting help!

8. LILO woes