R: Boot Disk Cannot Find Hard Disk.

Post by The Lastboo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Ive RH 6.0 install in my laptop.I created a boot disk from RH 6.2 CD in
> another system.
> Used the boot disk (floppy) to boot in my RH 6.0 laptop and was told
cannot
> find hard disk in my system.
> Must I transfer the Base and RPM files in other for the boot to find the
> hard disk?
> Thanks.
> Roger

Maybe because the kernel was compiled for another system, not for a laptop
which has a very different architecture from a normal Personal computer. Try
building a new kernel for the laptop then make the floppy!!!

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:13:08

>> Ive RH 6.0 install in my laptop.I created a boot disk from RH 6.2 CD in
>> another system.
>> Used the boot disk (floppy) to boot in my RH 6.0 laptop and was told
>cannot
>> find hard disk in my system.
>> Must I transfer the Base and RPM files in other for the boot to find the
>> hard disk?
>> Thanks.
>> Roger

>Maybe because the kernel was compiled for another system, not for a laptop
>which has a very different architecture from a normal Personal computer. Try
>building a new kernel for the laptop then make the floppy!!!

Also the kernel may be trying to boot to the drive and partition it was
compiled on, which may be the wrong partition for your laptop.  You may
need to use 'rdev' to tell vmlinuz on the floppy which partition is / on
the laptop.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. Boot Disk Cannot Find Hard Disk.

If it is a plain old boot disk where you copied vmlinuz to the floppy, it
could be that / on this system is a different partition than / was on the
other system.  In this case you would need to use rdev to tell the kernel
on the floppy which /dev/hd is /.

I am not sure how you would boot a LILO floppy for this, but there may be
info in the lilo docs.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

2. partition probs?

3. Bad bridge mapping problem: PCMCIA card not started

4. Need help: PANIC: Cannot find root disk controller after changing disks

5. How to switch gnome to kde?

6. how to copy boot disk to hard disk

7. PPC and IBM RS6000: info

8. Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

9. HELP: DOS boot disk does not recognize my hard disk!!!

10. Dual Boot with Scovery Flash Disk and Hard Disk

11. Solaris 10, built new disk, now cannot boot off solaris 8 disk???

12. Can one do disk-to-disk copys with Sun hard disks?