installing slackware 3.1 from partition to another partition?

installing slackware 3.1 from partition to another partition?

Post by Tuan Hoa » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm a newbie at installing Linux.
I have the InfoMagic 6 cd-set from sept 96.

I have 4 EIDE hard drives.  First 3 have all Windows95 stuff on
them.  Last one I have set aside for Linux, Linux Swap and Cdrom
source (because my cdrom isn't recognized during boot).

How do I partition the last drive?  Use MSDOS or Linux fdisk?
(remember the 3rd partition contains the cdrom /slakware dir)
Does it matter if all 3 partitions on 4th hard drive are
all one extended partition?

Thanks to all in advance.
Tuan

--
Tuan Hoang

8?)

1. 3.1-release install: "partition too big" problem

I'm trying to install FreeBSD using the 3.1-RELEASE floppy set.  I
don't have a clean disk to do this install on, so I thought I would
try putting FreeBSD on my mostly unused 287Mb DOS partition that sits
on my 1.2Gb main drive at home.  I also have existing partitions on
this disk for Linux and Linux swap which I definitely don't want hosed
by the FreeBSD install.

Here's the deal.  In the FreeBSD install, I get to the fdisk menu and
change the DOS partition type to FreeBSD.  Well and good.  I select
"none" as my boot manager, since I already have LILO installed, and
I'm pretty sure I can convince LILO to boot FreeBSD.  Fine.  I get to
the screen where I divide up my FreeBSD partition, and the trouble
begins.

No matter how I try to divide up my FreeBSD space into partitions, the
install program complains that my "partition is too big."  For
example, I try creating a /usr file partition with 160Mb.  "Partition
too big."  Even if I try something silly like creating a /usr file
partition with 2Mb, it complains that I'm trying to create a partition
that's too big.  At the top of the screen, it says I have 287Mb to
divide up for FreeBSD, so I am truly confused.

This has got to be an easy one.  Any suggestions?

--
X. S. Puckett                              replace "sendnospam" with "puckett"

2. NIS Master Transfer

3. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

4. Recommendations on OS

5. Partitions, Partitions, Partitions

6. recursive ftp

7. Partition, Partition, Where the HELL is my Partition!

8. password aging

9. Partitions partitions partitions

10. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

11. Using Partition Magic to partition a hardisk with Win95 pre-installed

12. Four primary partitions (3 FAT32, 1 ext2fs) can't install RH62 without swap partition?

13. install on a primary partition within the extended partition?