misc. questions

Post by Josh Rusk » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

ok I've been running linux for a while now, and i have just a few random
questions...

1) when running X, say from tty1, i know to switch from X to tty2 i hit
ctrl-alt-f2. but then when i hit alt-f1 i'm taken back to just the
console for tty1. how do i get back to the X display?

2) i know it's in a howto or something somewhere, but while i'm here
what's the key combination to cycle through resolutions/color depths
once X is running?

3) i have a 2-pc home network, and i want to set up a pop3 server for
email. user1 has an account on the linux box. however, if i set up a
profile in netscape on the other pc (win98), and have it use the linux
box as a pop3 server, and give the correct username/password, i still
cannot read user1's mail from netscape. i have popd running (or whatever
it's called...the linux box is running windoze right now so i can't
check...), and i can ping and telnet to the linux box from the windoze
pc. is there a howto anywhere on how to set up a pop server, because i
can't find any info anywhere?

misc. questions

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> ok I've been running linux for a while now, and i have just a few random
> questions...

> 1) when running X, say from tty1, i know to switch from X to tty2 i hit
> ctrl-alt-f2. but then when i hit alt-f1 i'm taken back to just the
> console for tty1. how do i get back to the X display?

On my system, it's F7.  Don't know why...

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

misc. questions

Post by Jeff Ka » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi Josh,

Quote:

> 2) i know it's in a howto or something somewhere, but while i'm here
> what's the key combination to cycle through resolutions/color depths
> once X is running?

crtl-alt-+ or ctrl-alt--

cheers

misc. questions

Post by Michael Steigma » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> ok I've been running linux for a while now, and i have just a few random
> questions...

> 1) when running X, say from tty1, i know to switch from X to tty2 i hit
> ctrl-alt-f2. but then when i hit alt-f1 i'm taken back to just the
> console for tty1. how do i get back to the X display?

> 2) i know it's in a howto or something somewhere, but while i'm here
> what's the key combination to cycle through resolutions/color depths
> once X is running?

> 3) i have a 2-pc home network, and i want to set up a pop3 server for
> email. user1 has an account on the linux box. however, if i set up a
> profile in netscape on the other pc (win98), and have it use the linux
> box as a pop3 server, and give the correct username/password, i still
> cannot read user1's mail from netscape. i have popd running (or whatever
> it's called...the linux box is running windoze right now so i can't
> check...), and i can ping and telnet to the linux box from the windoze
> pc. is there a howto anywhere on how to set up a pop server, because i
> can't find any info anywhere?

Can't help with the first two off the top of my head.

You'll need qpopper to give access to Netscape or Eudora clients. You
should be able to find it as an RPM on some mirror in /contrib. Don't
forget to comment out the stock pop3 daemon in your inetd.conf file.

misc. questions

Post by zenta » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:02:00 -0600, "Bobby D. Bryant"

>> ok I've been running linux for a while now, and i have just a few random
>> questions...

>> 1) when running X, say from tty1, i know to switch from X to tty2 i hit
>> ctrl-alt-f2. but then when i hit alt-f1 i'm taken back to just the
>> console for tty1. how do i get back to the X display?

>On my system, it's F7.  Don't know why...

On SuSe , it's hit ALT-F7 to get back to the X display.

misc. questions

Post by Josh Rusk » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

any idea where I can get it as a tar? or (stupid question time...) how can I
use a rpm on slackware?

> You'll need qpopper to give access to Netscape or Eudora clients. You
> should be able to find it as an RPM on some mirror in /contrib. Don't
> forget to comment out the stock pop3 daemon in your inetd.conf file.

1. Misc questions on a Bully-free computer

I'm contemplating new hardware and have some questions that
I don't remember having seen answered in my many hours reading
newsgroups like this and web pages like Tom's Hardware.  I
admit that I haven't reasearched the Graphics questions, so
feel free to ignore those if you want.  I'm one of those Bully
Boycotters and have some uncommon considerations as a result
of wanting an uncommon CPU, motherboard chipset, and OS.

1) Do some "jumperless" motherboards require the use of MS-Windows
or MS-DOS to set up the BIOS?  Which ones?

2) The only ATX motherboards I've seen with non-Intel chipsets
have only two ISA slots.  Can I get sound cards and extra-I/O
cards with PCI interfaces?  Are they much more expensive than ISA?

3) Do ATX power supplies blow air into or out of the case?  Any
way to reverse it?  I want all my fans blowing air in thru filters,
even if it cools less efficiently (before things get covered with
dust).

4) Any problems running Linux with the latest SIS or VIA chipsets?
A couple years ago I read rumours that Linux ran slow with SIS.

5) Since Linux doesn't use the BIOS after boot, how is it possible
for Linux to work at all with non-Intel chipsets?  Do these chips
all emulate Intel chipset control regesters, etc?

6) Does Linux support parity or ECC memory?  (Memory is so cheap
now, I'm suprised this isn't more popular.)  If so, what happens
when Linux gets an error indication?  How is the user informed?
Are there popular protocals for handling memory errors such as
saving backup and working files before shutting programs down,
etc.?  Is there any means to report which memory is bad?  Is
there any means to work around bad memory like bad disk sectors?

7) Can integrated printer-scanners be used just as well as separate
printers and scanners under Linux?  When using any of these 3 types
of devices, will many features be missing (without writing my own
programs) which the supplied MS-Windows SW makes available?

------- Bully Boycott -----
8) Do the latest AMD CPUs still have the MS-Windows logo on them?
(In that case, Cyrix will do just fine for my needs.)

9) Just curious.  Do board makers or BIOS makers have to pay
Intel/MS licencing fees to implement PCI, PnP, or a BIOS?

10) When companies advertise using "Intel Inside" or "Designed for
Windows 95/NT" logos, do they pay Intel/MS or does Intel/MS pay
them or is it a "wash"?

------- Graphics -----
11) If I just want to run 2D X-Windows at 1280x1024x24bits, is there
any reason to have more than 4 Meg video memory?

12) Can I resonably expect Linux and/or SW running on Linux to take
advantage of AGP hardware in the next two years?

13) What's the best reasonably priced Linux-friendly video card for
running 2D X-Windows at 1280x1024x24bits (4 meg)?
How about 1600x1200x24bits (8 meg)?

14) Is there any reason to get a typical 3D video card for a pure Linux
machine?  I understand that the only 3D software on Linux for now
requires the rather rare OpenGL compatible hardware.  Is this correct?

Please don't try sending mail.  Thanks.

2. P6-DOF MB Users - Question

3. misc questions

4. 2.5.50 hang when copying files, handwritten trace included

5. Misc questions

6. '-o nobanner' is not working

7. misc questions(gcc2.11, filenames, this group)

8. Multi-thread program

9. Misc Questions(Bootup warnings,Colors...).

10. x setup & misc. questions

11. Pls help: Misc questions

12. Misc questions

13. Misc. questions : tty, md5sum, make