setting up the NIC - newbie question

Post by Frits Hooglan » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello, I'm a new linux user!
I've setup a Linux server, but cannot figure out how to
enable/configurate networking!
I've got a 3Com 5X9 card.
When booting via LILO, i get errors because the NIC isn't setup.
What must I do to configurate the NIC?

Please respond to:

1. Newbie question about NIC settings

I have checked linuxdocs.org and several other places but can't seem
to find a definitive answer to what seems to be a simple question to
me.

How do I hard code a NIC for 100/full duplex operation as opposed to
auto-negotiate at boot? I don't want to have to re-run ifconfig
everytime I restart the machine. If you could even point me to a howto
or FAQ I'd be much obliged.
I really have looked.

Thanks.

goomba

2. Newbie: KFM error message - Autostart directory does not exist

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. Re networking two PC

5. Newbie Question on UPS setups

6. Linux on > 1Gbyte disks.

7. Newbie trying to set up Linux with two NICs

8. Virtual Desktop Under twm?

9. Newbie Q: How to set NIC card on HP Kayak XU?

10. newbie: setting NIC speed?

11. Newbie in need for help with setting up second NIC

12. Newbie: Help setting up 2 NICs

13. Newbie question - Dual NIC config?